11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2011 11:46 AM by Jerry Steiger

Create Hex Flagged Notes

Kris Persaud

Does anyone know how to create the HEX around the note numbers as shown in the attachment that are being used as "Flag" to indicate where the notes applies or is there another way to do this in Solidworks that will accomplish the same thing?

Thanks

Kris.

• Re: Create Hex Flagged Notes
          Kelvin Lamport

If the bulleted numbers are being added manually, a border can be applied to the number. Highlight the number, and in the Note Manager, go to the Border dropdown and select whichever shape is required.

If the bulleted numbers are being added automatically, I don't believe a border can be applied.

Kris Persaud

Thanks Kelvin - You are the Greatest

Anyway I can link the Flagged note 11 to the profile Feature Control Frame? The note was created separately from the FCF and I would like to have the note move with the FCF. Currently they are not linked thus the FCF move independent from the note 11.

Kris.

Kris Persaud

Bump

Still trying to get an answer to this. If this cannot be accomplish please let me know so I can put it to rest.

Thanks

Kris.

Deepak Gupta

You can group them.

To group annotations:

1. In a drawing document, box-select or hold down Ctrl and select two or more annotations to  group.

2. Click Group on the Align toolbar, or click Tools, Align, Group, Group.

3. Click an empty area of the drawing to clear all of the selections.

4. Drag any annotation in the group.

The annotations move together as a single entity. 

But make sure that both annotations must belong to the same drawing view or sheet. You cannot group  a note that belongs to a sheet with a balloon that belongs to a view.

Kris Persaud

When I highlight the entities and select Tools > Align > Group...... The last "Group" is grayed out.

Kris

Deepak Gupta

Make sure that both annotations must belong to the same drawing view or sheet. You cannot group a note that belongs to a sheet with a balloon that belongs to a view.

Kris Persaud

Deepak - Thanks for all your input

How can I tell if the note is in the same view as the annotation. I know that the annotation for the dimension is in the view since the dimension is coming off entities in the current view but how do I know for sure that a label/note or annotation is in a particular view? When I placed the annotation I make sure it is within the border of the view but I can move the annotation to any part of the drawing with no problem. I was under the impression if an annotation is placed in a view it cannot be moved outside of the border of this view. At least this is how SDRC works. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Kris.

Deepak Gupta

You can select the view before placing/starting to put the label/note or annotation. And then they get linked to that particular view. They'll move with the view but you can position them as required.

Jerry Steiger

Kris,

Usually, you are right, if you place an annotation inside a view, it will be placed in that view, but that isn't always guaranteed. It could be as simple as you placed it just outside the view border, so it is on the sheet. It could be that you have overlapping view borders, so it ends up on the other view. You might have set the focus to the sheet, so it is on the sheet, not the view. 

There is no limitation in SW that an annotation placed in a view must stay within the view border.

As Deepak said, the easiest way to tell if an annotation is tied to a view is to move the view and see if the annotation moves with it.

Jerry Steiger