3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2010 4:51 PM by John Jablonski

Copy a .SLDDRW to a new folder

Kris Persaud

I'm just trying to understand how Solidworks part and drafting files work. If I copy the .SLDDRW file from one folder to another folder does this automatically copy the part (.prt) file also to this folder? Does the .prt file and the SLDDRW (drawing) file has to be in the same directory or after you create the drawing file you do not need the .prt file anymore because the part file is embedded in the drawing file? I can test this out but I do not want to mess up my drawing file since I went thru lots of growing pains to finish the drawing. This is because I'm very raw at Solidworks.

Kris.

• Re: Copy a .SLDDRW to a new folder
          Wayne Tiffany

"If I copy the .SLDDRW file from one folder to another folder does this automatically copy the part (.prt) file also to this folder?"

No, all you have done is made a copy of the drawing.  The drawing doesn't have a way to drag the part file with it.  Both copies of the drawing at that point will still want to see the model file where they last found it.

"Does the .prt file and the SLDDRW (drawing) file has to be in the same directory"

No, they can be anywhere.

"...after you create the drawing file you do not need the .prt file anymore because the part file is embedded in the drawing file?"

Not true.  The drawing is linked to the model files and provides views of the model to you.  If you change the model, the drawing is updated accordingly since it's only showing you views of the model.  This is parametric linking.

If you move a drawing somewhere and you are not inside a PDM system that is helping you, then the next time you open the drawing it may tell you that it can't find the models it's referencing and would you like to find them yourself?  At that point you generally say yes and navigate to the models.  That re-establishes the connection of the drawing to the proper models.  Some of the time the models will still be found based on where they were, where you put them, and how you have search paths set up.

WT

John Jablonski

"Does the .prt file and the SLDDRW (drawing) file has to be in the same directory"

No, they can be anywhere.

Assuming no PDM system, if you want the RMB->Open Drawing functionality to work, both the part and the drawing need to be in the same directory.

Edit: And I think if a drawing points to a part in a different directory and you copy the drawing somewhere else, if there is a part with the same name in the new directory, opening the copied drawing will now reference the part in the new directory, and not the original part it referenced.

Alejandro Carrillo

Hi,

You have to be careful when managing your files, specially if you do not have PDM software.

Solidworks files use references when "linking" to one another, when you create a drawing file of any part, it creates a ling to the part file in the original location, you may move the drawing file and it will look for the part file in its original location. If you move a part file and then open the drawing file, it will most likely send the error message that the part was not found. Same case with assemblies.

If you need to move files around, try using SW Explorer, the Pack-n-go option is very useful in these cases. If you have PDM, this would be the best option.

Saludos.