3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2010 10:53 AM by Kelvin Lamport

Dimension leaders and Basic Dimensions

Kris Persaud

Couple of questions. How can I remove the radius from the Basic Dimensions to look like a box dimensions and why is the angular dimension bold and the rest of the dimensions are not as bolded.

See attachment.

• Re: Dimension leaders and Basic Dimensions
          Kelvin Lamport

The obround shape is the Inspection designator, not the Basic.

Select the dimension

In the Tolereance/Position dropdown of the Dimension Manager, select Basic

Click an open area of the graphics screen to accept and close the Dimension Manager.

The colour is grey probably because the dimensions have been placed manually (driven) in the drawing. The colour can be changed in the Tools > Options > System Options > Color > Color scheme settings > Dimensions, Non Imported (Driven)

Also check whether those particular dimensions have been placed on a layer in the drawing.

Also check whether a layer has been assigned for angled and linear dimensions in Tools > Options > Document Properties > Dimensions

Kris Persaud

Thanks Kelvin

The dimensions are not assigned to any particular layer. Should I assign layers to them (what is recomended)? The 21.74 angular dimension is coming off a center line between the two holes that I added in drafting. Is this the correct way to dimension this? In NX or SDRC I would normally create a reference line between the two holes in the model and then use this reference line to dimension the two holes to Datum B.

Kelvin Lamport

The dimensions are not assigned to any particular layer. Should I assign layers to them (what is recomended)?

Using layers is entirely a user or company preference. There is no right or wrong method. Some people swear by the use of layers ... I usually swear at them.

The 21.74 angular dimension is coming off a center line between the two holes that I added in drafting. Is this the correct way to dimension this?

If the drawings are for manufacture, dimension to suit the process that will be used to create the holes. Will that process use the angle, or the ordinates of the holes?