5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 1:03 PM by Deepak Gupta

Quick View and Custom Properties

Jesse Helms

Is there some issue with accessing the custom properties when opening a drawing file in quick view? Or is it not possible to do? Attached is a screen shot that i get when i try to go to the properties tab after opening it in quick view.  It says the drawing must be saved in SW 2010 or later to view custom properties in quick view yet the drawing was created in 2010.  Is this a bug?

Thanks for any input

Jesse

• Re: Quick View and Custom Properties
          Deepak Gupta

I don't see this behavior on SW2010 SP 4 Win XP 64 bit. What is you OS and SW details. Also can you run a reinstall or repair of SW?

Jesse Helms

Deepack,

I appreciate your response.

The srceen shot i took and attached was on a computer with SW 2010 SP 3.0 with XP 64 installed. After reading your response i tried it on three other machine with the same configuration and they all gave the same results. I then tried it on a machine that has SP 4.0 installed with SW 2010 and XP 64 and still got the same results.

When i open a drawing with the "quickview" box checked it will not allow me to see or use the custom properties tab, it says the same thing on all 4 computers i tried..."drawing must be saved in solidworks 2010 or later before its properties can be viewed in Quickview".

I have tried this with drawings that have been migrated to 2010 for 2009 as well as starting a drawing from scratch in 2010, all with the same results.

If it were just one machine trying a reinstall or repair i could see, but again this issue is on 4 different machines (all bought in the last 1.5 years all with certified drivers, yes i checked, and all with xp 64 with 8g ram or greater). Actually, the machine with SP 4.0 was just wiped cleaned and reloaded/reinstalled a week ago because of other issues and the same issue is happening on that machine.

So when you open a drawing with "quickview" checked you are able to see the custom properties and make inputs?

Deepak Gupta

Seems like a  because if I access the property through custom property tab, I see the same thing as in your snap shot. But I can access the properties through File > Properties menu. Attached is a video.

Jesse Helms

Deepak,

Thank you again for the response. I didnt think about going through the file drop down and selecting the properties there.  The only problem i see (see attahced screen shots) with doing it that way is that I dont seem to get the drop down selections i normally get with opening up the custom proerty tab. Maybe I am missing something though.

FYI, one of the reasons i am looking into this is that our adim person that puts all the names on the drawings when they are ready to release spends alot of time waiting for the drawings to open up just to do something that take about 15 seconds to do. I was thinking quickview would help this and when i saw the note about having to be SW 2010 or later i though there might have been a bug.  Maybe it is misleading and this is a function that is not allowable during quickview?

We are actually looking into the possibility of using "detached drawings" to speed some things up.  Some times during the release cycle we will get a markup on the print that might just be a misspelled word in the notes and if the drawing is of a large model it might take a few minutes to open that drawing in order to make a change that takes 10 seconds to do.  I noticed with the quickview, you really dont have many functions available though but with the detached drawings you have most fucntions available other than view creations.  Any experience or things to look out for with "detached drawing"?

Oh, and im giving you the points on this since you were kind enough to reply and no one else has.

Deepak Gupta

Thanks for the points,h I guess I have enough of them for this year

The reason you don;t see the list under File > Properties because both are different things. You will see the inbuilt (no idea if this can be modified) list under this menu but with property tab builder which is a customized one, you can see whatever you have added.

I haven't used detached drawings much but there is no harm in testing. Also did you looked at SW explorer or e-drawing services. The admin person may use e-drawing to mark up things and then team can fix them.