8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2011 11:38 AM by Tom Spine

Save Reminder, Please Fix it!

Nolton Johnson

I just lost a lot of work because SW crashed, has that ever happened to you? It is totally unnecessary.

Years ago I sent in an official request for a "Save Reminder". I begged and generally made a nuisance of myself until SW finally added it. The implementation was however not as I requested and has not been improved.

What we need (please listen SW, this is input from your customer), is the same functionality MiniCad now VectorWorks had over 20 years ago. Please give me the OPTION to have it appear in the center of the screen instead of in the bottom corner only!

Please give me the OPTION to have it NOT fade away after a few seconds! The current implementation is useless because it does not get my attention and that should be the whole idea of it.

A few years ago at a SW roll-out I asked a SW employee why they could not go all the way like I had asked. The answer was that "we don't want too many windows popping up on the screen". I told her that was an unsatisfactory answer because it would be my choice and any other user could choose NOT to activate it. I never got any help from SW or my VAR and I eventually just shut up.

From 1990 to 2001 I NEVER lost work due to a crash because VectorWorks had a proper implementation of SAVE REMINDER. From 2001 to today I have lost work many, many times because SolidWorks has never done this key feature correctly! There is no excuse for failing to fix this simple thing so SW users can stop loosing work. If there was a patent on it, that would have expired long ago.

In VW, I used to set it to remind me every few minutes. All it took to make the pop-up box go away was a tap on the escape key. If I wanted to save, it was a tap on the return key. Of course the cursor could be used in the box as well.

It is time to send another enhancement request. You could do the same if you want to stop losing work.

• Re: Save Reminder, Please Fix it!
          Nolton Johnson

I just sent in ER 1-1878282184. Let's see if it gets a response.

Tom Spine

Hi, Nolton.

It did (get a response), as the ER got routed to me. I normally get assigned user experience ERs such as this one.

Just to give everyone an idea of the process, the first thing I do when I get an ER is to investigate the issue or potential issue. In this case it wasn't all that hard for me to conclude that, yes, Nolton has a valid point. It could be possible that the current design might not be 'in your face' enough, and it could be possible to have some sort of option or other means of addressing this. I deliberately try to focus on the problem at this point, knowing that there are often many ways of addressing or eliminating the problem.

The next step is to go looking - does this issue already exist as an SPR? In this case, I did find an SPR that was extremely similar (SPR 315911). The existing SPR stated the problem, but not any potential solutions: "The save reminder that pops up doesn't stay up long enough. It has options to save file(s) but I rarely can catch it in time." Pretty much the same issue as stated by Nolton - that is, it is too easy to miss the reminder. So I updated the SPR with more information that I copy and pasted directly from Nolton, and then attached the SPR to Nolton's ER.

The immediate upshot is that now our SPR system tells us that this issue has 2 customer hits associated with it, rather than 1. (Or, to be accurate, it will once the magic behind the scenes database stuff gets automagically updated overnight.)

We try to address as many of these types of user experience annoying issues every release that we can, and I can tell you that the ERs and numbers of customer hits attached to SPRs (along with the discussions here in the forums) is extremely valuable in directing our efforts and focusing our attention. Just earlier today, for example, as we were discussing a different user experience annoying issue (one which many people will applaud when fixed!)  and how to address it, I found myself copying problem descriptions from a half dozen ERs into a mail message to my colleagues - just so we all had a visible and ready reminder *in your own words* of exactly what the problem was, and exactly what you all were saying about it. It makes a difference, it really does.

--Tom

Paul Marsman

Tom,

For my clarification at least - do you know (or know who to ask at least) if we are in the KB looking at an SPR and select the "Yes, but notify me when this is fixed. (SPR only)" option does that count towards the customer hits of the SPR? (of course after all the magic overnight)

FYI: I really like this option better than having to tell my VAR to add me to SPR ######, thanks!

Tom Spine

I don't know, and rather than purely guessing I will see if I can find the answer from someone in the know... Stay tuned, it may take a day or three...

--Tom

Tom Spine

It didn't take as long to find the answer as I thought it might. The good news is, yes, that will increment the customer hit count.

It turns out that in the background a new SR is automatically created and the SPR automatically attached to it, and thus the hit count gets incremented.

--Tom

Nolton Johnson

Come on Tom!

If it makes basic common sense to fix it and it has been saving work (time=money) in another program for 20 years, why don't you JUST DO IT?

All you need is a tweek of the poor save reminder you already added. Forget the number of votes or hits.

Isn't this obviously a solution to save all your customers time and aggravation? When users find out about it and start using it, they will give you kudos.

My ER was killed so I put in another one. I am not going to spend time to run a campaign to get hits, this is too simple and too needed. Please just fix it.

Nolton

Tom Spine

Hi, Nolton.

Your original enhancement request (SR 1-1878282184) was not killed. When I looked into it in December, I found that we already had an Enhancement SPR (SPR 315911) that was asking for the same thing. I associated that SPR with your ER. This does two things. First, it increments the "customer hit" count on the SPR (in this case from 1 to 2). Second, it ensures that you get notified when action is taken on the request.

Once this is done (associating an SPR with an ER), the process is then to close the ER. This doesn't mean that it is done, nor killed. It just means that the action now lies in our SPR system.

Every release we try to address as many user interface requests as we can. The customer hit count is one, but not the only, factor we take into consideration. I understand your frustration, Nolton, and I am looking into what we might be able to do (and when).

--Tom

Jerry Steiger

Nolton,

I think you can go to the SWW2010 Top 10 post in the General Forums and add your request. This is a chance to get some really good visibility and feedback.

Jerry Steiger