4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2010 3:05 PM by 1-TYBUJN

Problem with DWG import

I am trying to extract some dimensions from an inserted DWG, but the dimensions I add do not match the known dimensions in the DWG.

For example, a dimension marked 3.5 in the DWG shows as 2.917 when I add the dimension(see attached).  Is there any way to proportion/scale the drawing to fix this?

Btw, the same inconsistency happens in DWG editor as well.

• Re: Problem with DWG import
          John Kreutzberger

Are you just trying to edit a 2d file in SW? That is not one of SW's strengths. I have not used it, but there is a download available for something called the 2d editor that you may try.

Many years ago when I started designing molds with my first CAD platform (cadkey) I very quickly learned not to trust geometry from DWG files generated by ACAD. I have never used it, but it must be very easy for the user to over-ride an actual dimension and simply key something in. SW added this `capability' a few releases ago-probably to satisfy former ACAD users. I rarely use it and when I do it is just to deal with rounding issues so that a stack of dimensions will add up.

The discrepancy you show is pretty gross. Perhaps the geomery was scaled by some factor before export.

Scott McFadden

Matthew,

If you are saying what I think you are saying, it sounds like when the drawings was imported the

scale wasn't what it should have been.  Try it again at 0.8334 (2.917/3.5) and see if that gives you

what you are looking for.

Lenny Bucholz

if all the dimensions are wrong the scale came in wrong. If only a few are wron the person who craeted the DWG just overroad them to fit their needs!!

I alwasy creat a new SW part and make a new drawing that works in SW. als when they make DWG the do an extent window to pick for printing or saving, because most of the time they draw 1 to 1unlike SW make the views scaledto fit the seat of paper just like the old days of drawing on the board with a pencil and triangle scale for the correct view scale.