13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2012 12:33 AM by Mark Biasotti

Scan to 3D

Arnt Wiebicke

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if anyone has come across a discussion about scanning to 3D. No where do i see a blog or group. I own my business that focuses on Reveres Engineering and use this option quite frequently for developing solid data from point cloud/mesh data. I would like to connect with some of you who are working with this Add-On.

Best Regards,

Arnt.

• Re: Scan to 3D
          Scott McFadden

Arnt,

I don't know much about this topic, but I did find these links.

I know I have done the opposite where I have printed out my models into

3D, but I know that is not where you are going with this.

Maybe they will help you.

Good luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrVZR1cldu4

http://help.solidworks.com/2010/english/SolidWorks/SWHelp_List.html?id=78dec80e67824b91a7d7e85fa3b80954

http://www.ict.com.hk/scanto3D.aspx

Arnt Wiebicke

Thanks for your feedback but this was not the reason why i posted this. I have been working with Scan to 3D for quite some time now and looking for a section within the Forum where users can post items. I would like to establish some contacts to see how certain other individuals use it and if they are running into any problems. It looks like that nothing with regards to Scan to 3D has been implemented in the Forum and just starting this thread. Just offering my help and advice in case someone might encounter some problems.

This would lead into my first question. When do you guys see a significant slowdown with regards to imported stl's? How many facets do you comfortably work with?

Mark Biasotti

Hi Arnt,

I was the Product Manager for that product back in 2006 and since then have been the resident expert in Product Definition/Management. I'd love to have more discussion about it in the forums. In the meantime check this out   http://gardner-gunn.com/robotarm/?p=115  This is the homepage for the site http://gardner-gunn.com/robotarm/

As far as your question, I'm on Win7x64 with 8G and I don't see a problem with importing large STL's. Then again, I'm using the Next Engine format .scn or second to that I will use .obj. A year ago I successfully imported and meshed a 2.5 million cloud point.

What you will find a problem with is that imported meshes into a SW part will significantly increase the size of the file and the time it takes to save it.

Regards

Mark

Arnt Wiebicke

Mark,

Fantastic. Exactly the kind of contact and response i expected. Thank you very much for the link. I guess this will start the thread and hopefully some more interesting responses from more industry professionals. I am sure some great contacts might arise out of this. I own a business called Creative 3D Solutions and focus on Reverse Engineering for all different sectors. I am located in Richmond, BC, Canada. Your approach to scanning seems quite complicated but very interesting. I implement a hand held laser that develops a fully meshed stl as you scan the surface. Even the movement of the hand as long as it it small does not matter. Most of the time the stl file that is developed is vey clean. A couple of questions for you. What made you decide to develop and implement source code in SolidWorks for handling stl files? Was it customer driven?

There are so many features that SW could implement for the RE portion of it or even develop a seperate software package. If this product is marketed correctly with the best programmers behind the scenes it would open up a completely new avenue for competitive RE software. I would stronly suggest to develop a product that is competitive with the rest of the industry standards and would like to see Scan to 3D take on a completely new level of RE standards. Continous improvement is one of my philosophies but have not seen this in any of the new releases of the Scan to 3D option in SW.

Mark Biasotti

Arnt,

STL was chosen (John Cochrane was the Product Definition person on the project) because it is one of the more common formats along with .3ds, obj.  Not sure how to answer you other than to say  we had to have it if we were going to be competitiive and give users what they needed. Also, as you've noticed, ScanTo3D formats align with many of  import and export formats - one being STL.

Regards

Mark

Marshal Fitch

wow, that looks great.  I wish I had that kind of luck bringing in models from a NextEngine scanner.  Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but I never get them nearly that clean, and SW froze quite often when bringing in a large model.  I haven't tried it since 2011 came out, mostly because I lost faith in the scanner.  I'll definitely have to give it a go again though, because I'd love to be able to get a great scanned model of the back of an iPad.  I've seen the models people have made, and I don't really feel that curvature is right on any of those models.  I might have to dust off the scanner and give it a shot again this week

Mark Biasotti

Marshall,

What kind of scanner do you have. Are you having trouble with the scanning software or SW ScanTo3D?

Scratch that - just re-read and see that you have an NE also. Mine is one of the original models and a pretty early version of Scan studio. If you have the second generation scanner, you should have even better results than me. With all that said, using NE and doing RE is an art and it takes some practice. I really wanted to do a presentation this year on RE and Scanning but I was turned down (yes, even we get rejected.)  Well, I'm going to have to do a blog post here on the subject. If you are going want to get the rear surface of that iPad,m you're going to have to paint it I'm afraid. There are water soluble sprays but if you can afford, Kylon flat white works best.

Regards

Mark

Marshal Fitch

Painting it certainly isn't a problem, considering one of our more popular products is custom painted iPads.  What I've had trouble with is cleaning up the scans and bringing them into solidworks.  I think it's more lack of instruction and practice than anything.  I'd love to read a detailed topic on cleaning up and importing scans, since it never seems to get much coverage.  Hopefully I'll be able to get the time to pull the scanner out and play with it some more, especially with some of the projects I'd like to use it on in the near future.  I had a few issues with the scanner the first few times I used it, but nextengine support was extremely helpful.

Michael Nelson

Mark,

Did you have a chance to finish this and get it to SWW? If you did I would like to see some pics of the finished product. It's a great looking project from what I've seen so far.

Michael

Misty Ratzlaff

How does someone contact you for a quote?

Brandon Wittcop

Hello everyone, I'm pretty new to the forum, and also to the industry. I work at a place that makes after market ATV parts, and the boss has recently purchased a Handy Scan 3D scanner that uses VXElements. So now the question here is what software to use. I work for a fairly small company, and the cost of Geomagic and Rapidform is fairly high for a company this size. I was wondering how well SolidWorks compares to Geomagic and Rapidform, can it do the same tasks? And how does it's efficiency compare as well? I would love to learn Geomagic or Rapidform, but I would also like to be able to do the same things with Solidworks, and save the company some money.