2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2010 1:46 AM by Kieran Choy

CONTACT BETWEEN SHELLS

Apostolos Lilias

Hi

I have a construction with a rectangular cross section which is made by two halfs each one is a shell U shape. One side of the assembly is fixed and to the other side there is a force 1000N located to lower half of the box. During simulation due to the action of the force the lower half is bending and moving while the upper half is immovable and is not following the motion of the lower half. Also all the stress going to the lower half and the upper one is unstressed completely. Normaly due to the force both halfs must move together as a box and also have stresses both of them. I tried to apply a local bonding contact between the two shells but I receive the message that faces along thickness of sheetmetal is invalid selection so I don't know which faces to select in order to bond the two shells. Can somebody tell me how I will bond the two shells in order to perform together as a box and not separetally. I am attaching a zip file with the example for your help.

• Re: CONTACT BETWEEN SHELLS
          Ryan Werner

Hi,

A shell is by definition a 2D planar entity so no thickness actually exists, that is why you cannot choose those faces to define your contact sets.  The Rigid Connectors also will not work because they do not actually link the two bodies together.  I have fixed your contacts by simply choosing the edge of the bottom u shape and the vertical face of the upper u shape on both sides and applied a bonded contact.  If you look at the results with the deformation on I think you will find it is deforming as expected.  I also duplicated your study using solids instead of shells.  For this study no contacts are needed since the faces are already touching and a global bonded contact is specified.  This study takes no longer to solve so is a viable option for getting results.

Ryan W.

• Re: CONTACT BETWEEN SHELLS
            Kieran Choy

You can create contact sets using the same faces that were defined for the shell.