7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2010 11:14 PM by Jim Chalmers

Working screeen shrinks out of sight.

Brigid Rauch

The problem started with the tool bars slipping out of place. They seem to be locked into place now. When I open a part, I see the part on a full size working screen. As soon as I open a sketch, the work space shrinks to a 1 mm bar at the bootm of the screen. The rest od the screen in soccupied by an exxpanded space for the tool bar.

I re-loaded Solidworks 2010, but the problem persists. 

• Re: Working screeen shrinks out of sight.
          Wayne Tiffany

My first thought is to rename the local user key and see if that fixes the problem.  Sounds quite weird.

WT

Jim Chalmers

I have the same problem.  I reloaded 2010 and then loaded 2011. Problem still persists   Reloaded Nvidia Qudaro FX 2800M drivers.  What is the fix?

Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SW forums Rauch.

This is what WT wants you to do.

If you don't then we need to reset the registry. To do that you need to close SolidWorks. Then go to Run> regedit> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks and then rename SolidWorks to SolidWorks_old. Then when you start SolidWorks, everything will be set to default."

If you're uncomfortable doing it then seek help from the IT guy.

Brigid Rauch

We removed several previous editions of Solidworks along with the tool boxes, the reloaded Soildworks 2011. Problem solved.

John Sweeney

Hi Guys,

I'm glad you were able to resolve the problem.  But I'm actually a bit concerned that two of you saw the same problem for something that sounds like a machine-specific issue.  Did either of you take a screen snapshot in this bad state?  Brigid, when you say "the rest of the screen is occupied by an expanding space for the toolbar" do you mean that your graphics area and FeatureManager tree area shrunk down to almost nothing and the majority of SolidWorks was the grey background typically seen behind your docked toolbars?  Do you work with your document maximized?  From your description, iIt sounds like the "status bar" or was it the "Model" and "Motion Study" tabs area that was too big?

If this happens again, I'd be curious to see if a simple resize of the main SolidWorks window would "fix" the issue.  However, I'd really like to see a screen shot and get a copy of the HKCU registry entries on your machine for SolidWorks 2011 and the prior SolidWorks install.

Thanks,

John

Jim Chalmers

I tried resizing many many times.  I was just very glad to see that someone else had just had the same problem.  I didn't have the same problem on my old desktop computer, just my new Dell Precision M6500 laptop. The problem occured when I transferred models from my desktop to my laptop via a thumbdrive. I think I was not able to recreate the problem on my desktop using the same files and thumbdrive. So in my opinion it was machine specific.  I had been using the same files on both computers for several days up to that point.