4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2011 4:16 PM by Ryan Weedon

Overiding dimension text

Ryan Weedon

SW2011SP0 on WinXP-64.

I have an issue that has come up since installing SW2011.  Never had a problem with previous versions.  In the dimension text on a drawing, I want to add a counterbore symbol to the default text.  Whether I click the button for a counterbore in the Dimension property manager, or type <HOLE-SPOT> where I want it (after clicking Yes to whether or not I want to modify the callout text), when I click back on the sheet (or click the green checkmark) nothing changes.  I then select the dimension text again and see that the change is missing from the property manager.  I was always able to do this in the past with no problem.  Now I have to add a Note annotation instead of using the dimension to get it to display what I would like.  Is this a known bug?  Can anyone recreate this issue?

• Re: Overiding dimension text
          Glenn Schroeder

Are you keeping the dimension text and adding the symbol, or replacing the dimension text?  If you are just adding to it, I have had better luck with just clicking before or after <DIM>  in the Dimension Text box in the Property Manager and then inserting my text or symbol.  This way you don't get the box asking if you want to override your dimension.  I am still on SW2010 so this may not help.

Ryan Weedon

Thanks for the quick reply.  I am keeping the text and just adding to it.  And the method you describe is what I'm doing.  I click in the dimension text in the property manager, which puts a cursor there.  As soon as I start to type or click the button to insert the symbol, it asks me if I want to override.  I click yes and make my changes, but they do not take effect.  I haven't had this problem on any previous version.  It just appeared now that I'm using SW2011.

Kelvin Lamport

It works fine for me with SW2011-SP1.0EV with XPx32.

Can you insert other symbols OK?

Ryan Weedon

Now on SW2011SP2 and the problem persists.  However, I've narrowed this problem down a little bit more.  It seems to only happen when I'm trying to override the dimension text for a hole callout.  Also, I cannot insert other symbols or even text and get it to stay, but I can insert the same symbols and text in non-hole callout dimensions without a problem.