8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 12:37 PM by Ralph Gillis

Configuration Name

Nathanael Powers

Hello,

I am trying to add part numbers to screws that are provided by solidworks tool box. How is the configuration name linked to the part? If I change the configuration name do the parts break? 

• Re: Configuration Name
          Scott McFadden

Nathanael,

I think what you are talking about is if you RC on the toolbox part in the model tree

select the following.

TOOLBOX.jpg

and you are able to change your configuration name.

Tom Helsley

The SolidWorks Toolbox help file tells you how to configure your toolbox parts so they can have part numbers.  Basically, after you configure your sizes etc. using the "Toolbox Settings" application, you export the data to excel, add your part numbers, then import the spreadsheet back into toolbox.

Ralph Gillis

Scott/Tom,

Thanks for your input I'll check these options out to see if it will do what I need.

Ralph Gillis

Yes, I am able to enter part numbers, however, I want to change the configuration name that is there to be the same as the part number. It will allow me to change the cell to nter the number, but when I import the file, it ignores the changes. I was able to locate a post on the SW Knowledge Base that specifies this very thing. Import/Export only allows you to change the P/N, Description and Comments cells but ignores all other changes.

Scott McFadden

Maybe I am not totally uinderstanding you.

I used to do this all the time at my old job.

I just did what I thought you were trying to do.  I went in to edit toolbox definition and typed

the name "Test" under configuration.  Then selected to list by part

Then the name test showed up in the feature manager.

If you are looking to change the file name then you will need to call up the part and do a save as.

Which is what I would recommend anyway.  I have had too many issues with losing toolbox parts

going through the method I used to do and you are trying to do.

TOOLBOX.jpg

TOOLBOX.jpg

TOOLBOX.jpg

Ralph Gillis

Thanks, Scott, I was able to do this also. However, when I changed the configuration name in the toolbox definition and accepted it, it does save the info back to the data set for the configuration. It does create a config by that name at the part level, however. What I want to do is set up a part standard within TB that will show me the part number and not the config name.

Maybe, since I copied an existing STD it won't let me do this. Maybe, I would need to create a STD from scratch?

Clear as mud?

Tom Helsley

Ralph,

It sounds like you are trying to edit the information in the data exported to a spreadsheet, then import the spreadsheet again.  When you import the spreadsheet, SolidWorks has to "key" on something to associate the imported data with the configurations in the database.  That key field is the configuration name.  If you change the configuration names in the database, you lose that associativity, and SolidWorks (toolbox) ignores that data.