14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2010 9:30 AM by Kieran Choy

Extrude Length

Simon Gonzalez

Hi everybody,

Does anybody know if it is possible to  insert a "extrude length" note into a drawing linked to the 3D  operation? I mean, I want to use it to state a bolt with the following  information, THREADxLENGTH, so if I change the bolt thread or length,  the drawing would be updated.

PD: I'm using Solidworks 2010.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

• Re: Extrude Length
          Michael Duncan

Hi Simon,

A linked note to the part properties can do this.

Michael

Keith Parker

Hi Simon

There may be easier ways to do this but this works...

Make the part sketch or extrude dimensions something logical.  For example on a bolt part with diameter and thread length, double-click on your part to access the dimensions properties.  Rename the Primary Value text from something like ‘D1@sketch1’  to ‘thread_diameter’@Sketch1 for the thread dia, and for the extrusion length do something similar like ‘D2@Boss-Extrude1’ to ‘thread_length@Boss-Extrude1’.  Note that you can only do this once the part has been extruded.  You can rename your sketches to be more relevant as well.

thread_length.jpg

Once you have these dimensions, map them to some custom properties.  Don’t forget the quotes.  Your values should show in the ‘Evaluated Value’  column.

Custom properties.jpg

Then go to your drawing and insert an Annotation that has a ‘Link to Property’, select the correct radio button (in this case it’s the ‘Model in to which the annotation is attached’ one) then select your required custom property from the drop-down list and it’ll appear in your annotation.

Insert link to Property.jpg

Result.jpg

I don't know how to show the 'Link to Property' link within the Annotation once you've done it; i.e. when you edit the Annotation text I don't know how to toggle between the value ('50.00' in my example) and the property link in order to edit it.  Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Obviously you don’t need this for the diameter - it’s just an example.  Part & Drawing attached.

Michael Duncan

Hi Keith,

Can you have properties for an extrusion in SW2011?

If you look at Simons example the studs & nut inserts are part of it not seperate parts.

Michael

Keith Parker

Michael - Can't think that SW 2011 would change so much as to not allow the use of feature dimensions as properties.  Don't have 2011 yet so can't comment otherwise...

Cheers, Keith

Kieran Choy

I can confirm this works - this is how I would drive the annotations. The correct order would be:

File >> Properties >> Define the name of the Custom Property and then click into the Value/Text Expression field

With the Properties dialog box still open, double-click on the extrude feature to show the extrude dimension. Then select the dimension - it should be added into the Properties box in the Value/Text Expression field.

Alternatively, if you know the name of the dimension (e.g. Length@Extrude1), you can type it directly into the Value/Text Expression field.

Kieth - in the drawing >> View >> turn on "Annotation link variables". When you edit an annotation, the variables will be displayed using the underlying code. Alternatively, you can RMB on an annotation and select "Edit in window" and this will also show the underlying code.

Simon Gonzalez

All the solutions based on properties are fine and work, but, as my parts can be composed by several kinds of inserts, that would mean to create too many properties, and update them in each modification.

I was looking for something more direct, and perhaps it can't be achieved.

Maybe I should ask in the Macro forum in order to create a specific tool to add notes for inserts.

What do you think?

Anyway, thank you very much for your support.

Michael Duncan

Hi Simon,

When I first started  modeling up parts with inserts I wanted to do the all as the one part because as far as I was concerned this part had 1 Drawing No. so it had to be 1 part. Basiclly I boxed myself into a corner until I got my head round the idea that this "1 part" can be an assembly, the part + the inserts.

Michael

Kieran Choy

You can insert a part into a part (not sure if this is what you are doing already). There is an option when you do so to bring across the inserted parts Custom Properties. I'm not sure if you can do this with library features though.