3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2010 9:36 AM by Ryan Werner

roller-slider recation forces simulation

gil maor

Hello All

I would like to get the reaction forces of a roller-slider - what is the best way to simulate such a thing?

Thanks,

Gil,

• Re: roller-slider recation forces simulation
          Roland Schwarz

I've done a few roller-slider mechanisms.  They can be tricky as far as getting results, as the constraints sometimes seem to yield strange output.

My current setup for roller-slider is to model a pin through the roller axis.  Only the slider and pin are constrained to the roller.  Any other elements that attach to the roller are actually mated to the pin.  Then I get the result of the pin-to-roller mate to get the net force on the roller.

gil maor

Hi roladn I tried as you suggested but still I get strange reasult that does not seem to be real.

I've attached my assembly maybe you could see whats wrong there.

Thanks for your help and time

Gil,

Ryan Werner

Hi Gil,

The Roller/Slider restraint is probably not the problem with this analysis.  The biggest issue is the fact that you have a mixed mesh problem here with beams and solids.  Simulation can run this type of study but you must define the contacts between the beams and any solid parts that it is in contact with.  Also, you have interference between the beam element and the heads of the pins.  Simulation does not like any interferences between bodies for the most part so that needs to be cleaned up as well.  Because you have removed the pins from the analysis and only the beam element is left you now have very limited options for restraints.  Again, Simulation can do mixed solid and beam studies but defining the contacts is the tough part.  The area of contact between the beam and the solid must be great enough for Simulation to recognize and in this case that may or may not be an issue.  Anyway, hope this helps.  Good luck.

Ryan W.