4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2010 10:26 AM by Ryan Werner

Uni-Axial Tension Sim. Failed

Logan Lee

The part in question is thin rectangular plate with a hole through its center. An outward-acting force (tension) is applied to one of the faces, and the opposite face is fixed. However when I mesh and run the simulation SW is unable to complete the simulation. Solid Edge can perform this with this simulation tools. Any ideas how I can get this loading scenario to work with SW? A picture of the simulation set-up is attached.

2010 Student Edition

Thanks in advance

• Re: Uni-Axial Tension Sim. Failed
          Deepak Gupta

There can be several reasons behind it. Are you trying to use SimulationXpress or SimulationWorks. Can you upload the part (with boundary conditions set) here to check.

I did a quick test using SW SimulationXpress and it worked fine.

Ryan Werner

This is definetely a simple analysis to run that Simulation should have no problem with.  Are you getting any error messages?  Is it meshing and then failing?  A little more info would help solve this.

Ryan W.

Anthony Botting

I did just uncover a bug in SW 2010 Simulation, that is fixed in SP5 (which is not available yet). The FFEPlus solver will fail without apparent reason, but it only happens on "some" Windows 7 machines. The cure at the moment is to switch to the Direct Sparse Solver. Also, make sure you have issued save command locally (as opposed to working on a file over the network), because Simulation needs to write data to a temporary location. Working off network, some people get a failure message because the solver is trying to write data to a location that the user does not have permission to write. I hope this helps. It has worked so far for all cases we've encountered. -Tony

Ryan Werner

I have also encountered this problem and am glad to hear they are fixing it.  I have found that when the FFE solver fails if I close the file and then reopen it using SW instead of opening it through Windows Explorer (we use PDM so I am just in the habit of doing it this way) it will almost always then run the analysis using FFE.

Ryan W.