15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2012 12:28 AM by Dougal Hiscock

ERROR : 1606

wael dardour

when I  throw  the program (solidworks 2009 sp0.0)(sur vista 32 bit)  I  find  (error 1606.could not access network location 0/.) and the program dont work.....p help me..

• Re: ERROR : 1606
          Raghavendra Bhagavan.S.M

Hello Wael,

Could you be more specific with the error ? You can attach the screenshot for the better understanding ?

Cheers !

Bhagavan.

Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SW forums Wael.

Are you running a network license. Check if you can connect to the server

Also read this post for your future reference: Forum Posting

Scott McFadden

Wael,

If you go to Help>SolidNetWork License Administrator, what does it tell you about your connection on your machine?

Dougal Hiscock

Hi Guys

I'm getting the same error for the first time ever.

Installing SW2009 on a win7-64 machine.  I have run about a dozen trial installs and all went well.  I start a reinstall to actually use it and I hit this error.

But my error is found when installing SW explorer.  The installer can't get past that point and cancels out before installing simulation and something else which follows.

I haven't yet tried to fix it.  Just reporting for now.  This is a standalone installation.

Kelvin Lamport

Are you running a Symantec/Norton utility? This used to be a cause of the 1606 error on some systems.

On other systems;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549

Dougal Hiscock

Hi Kevin

I'm not running symantec or Norton, I run Avast which so far hasn't caused any problems.  I struck this error late last night and just left it.  I'll get into troubleshooting tonight as I hope to be using this computer fulltime on Monday.

Dougal Hiscock

Update, the installation error is fixed for me.

I went through the registry settings in the microsoft knowledgebase article, all were fine except for a default setting which wasn't on the list and couldn't be deleted.

I downloaded the automated "fixit" msi file from microsoft and, seriously surprised, it fixed it.

Because the installation was done over several attempts this has killed my 30 day free trial, solidworks requires immediate activation to work.  Guess I'm down to transferring license files repeatedly as I test and migrate to the new machine.

*edit*

However, that was only SP0.  Updating to SP5.1 I hit the same error again.  The same fix doesn't work.

Time to blow the HDD clean and start again I think.  I don't know exactly what was interfering with it, but it was working last week.

Deepak Gupta

Did you tried "Let me fix it myself"

Dougal Hiscock

Hi Deepak

Yes I did, those are the registry settings I mentioned earlier in the same post. 

Deepak Gupta

You said that you've used automated fix it option but have you tried the manual methods listed on the site.

Dougal Hiscock

The manual method is checking and altering registry settings. 

Dougal wrote:

I went through the registry settings in the microsoft knowledgebase article, all were fine except for a default setting which wasn't on the list and couldn't be deleted.

Deepak Gupta

Sorry for misunderstanding that. The same post talk about deleting some registry keys. Did you tried that too??

Dougal Hiscock

All the registry keys matched except for one labelled as "default".  I was unable to delete that key.  I didn't check if the automated fixer was able to remove it.

Deepak Gupta

Here is another method listed on the same link.

Method 2

If the issue still occurs, find registry keys.

Below is a registry key reference of how the key is displayed for Microsoft Office in the registry:

The Version of Microsoft OfficeDisplayed in Registry
                                                      Office 201014.0
                                                      Office 200712.0
                                                      Office 200311.0
                                                      Office XP10.0
                                                      Office 20009.0
                                                      Office 978.0

To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Click Start, click Run, type Regedit.exe, and then click OK.
                                                      2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office

3. In the left pane,there any old Microsoft Office register keys that do not have any product associated with them.
                                                        Note The picture below is an example for deleting an Office 2007 registery key.

4. In the left pane, right click the folder that you located and then click Delete.
                                                      5. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
                                            Dougal Hiscock

HDD blown clean, partition table and MBR deleted and recreated.

On a fresh install the problem is gone, SW2009SP5.1 installed fine.  I have no idea what the cause was, but a few other little niggles (like network not showing XP computers without registry tweaks) have also been avoided.

Whether it was an installation order thing or not we'll probably never know.  They were both clean installs, this one now has the same software installed as previous but doesn't have the same issues.