AnsweredAssumed Answered

Renaming Components Doesn't Update Parent Assembly in WPDM

Question asked by Michael Wade on Nov 16, 2010
Latest reply on Nov 17, 2010 by Scott McFadden

I have a sub-assembly (sldasm) in Workgroup PDM that is comprised of about a dozen components (sldprt).  Each component has its own drawing.  When I renamed each component's drawing and checked out the sub-assembly, all parts within the sub-assembly checked out normally and all the newly renamed drawings were accessible as one would expect.  After deleting the files from my local drive and then renaming the components in PDM (yes, I had ownership of all the components, drawings, and sub-assembly; yes, I did right-click on each component and select "Rename" from the menu; and yes, I selected "Yes" from the warning message that appears asking about updating referenced documents) a very peculiar thing happens.  Everything in PDM appears to have gone well, but when I check the sub-assembly back out, all the components that were renamed cannot be found when I try to open the sub-assembly.  The newly renamed parts were checked out, but the sub-assembly is still looking for the old filenames.  It's very strange and I have never seen anything like it.  I've renamed countless other parts throughout the same vault in the same project with no issues.

I am hoping somebody has seen this problem first hand and can help me out.  I should note that these are not my company's files; I am VPNing into a customer's network and accessing their vault, therefore, I do not have admin access.  And the company is pretty much in the dark when it comes to administrative SolidWorks issues.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Outcomes