6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2016 12:25 PM by Peer Larson

Preview not updated

Daniel Adlon

We are currently using SW2010 with EPDM.  In our work flows, checked by, approved by, and revision custom properties in both the model and drawing are updated.  When we preview the drawing in the EPDM interface, the custom properties are not up to date.  Opening the file in SW, does show proper data.  Opened the file using edrawings shows the same bad info as the preview, which I would expect since the preview is edrawings based.  Searching through the forum, I have seen several instances of this going back several years.  We have tried all the usual open, save, rebuild, get lastest version tip with no success.  Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

Thanks,

Dan

• Re: Preview not updated
          Corey Vantilborg

I am also interested if anyone has a fix, been on ongoing issue for us for years.

Corey Vantilborg

Tigercat Industries

Tor Iveroth

I suggest you work with your VAR to sort out why the eDrawings preview is not being updated with the curent custom property values.

Keep in mind that eDrawings do not have support for showing updated "linked" properties from the model used in the drawing, i.e. if your title block uses a $PRPSHEET note, it will not show the updated values until the drawing is opened and resaved in SolidWorks.   if your title block uses the custom properties from the drawing itself (i.e. using a $PRP note), then eDrawings and thereby Enterprise preview should show the updated property value without having to open it in SolidWorks.

-Tor Iveroth, SolidWorks technical support

Tom Kruschinsky

Tor,

Then that is an issue that really should be addressed by Solidworks and not the VAR. There are numerous posts about this issue going back several years. I would prefer to see enhancements along these lines and less in Photoworks and such.

Within in Product Design it is advantageous to have both the model and drawing revision on the drawing. In many instances the drawing itself may change, ie, notes, tolerance change, something that does not affect the model. In that case the drawing would up rev but the model rev would remain the same.

In the case where drawings may be approved by a user thru EPDM/Explorer or E-Viewer the drawing view is not up to date, unless the drawing has been check out – saved – checked in. I should not have to create a dispatch function to handle that. JMHO.

Tor Iveroth

Tom, what I meant about contacting VAR is to see if it is a bug or a  limitation.  I.e. if the title block uses a $PRP note, it should work  and if it is not working - it's a bug or configuration setup problem.  The VAR should be able to help troubleshoot this and if needed, open up a support case with SolidWorks.  If it is a note  using model properties, $PRPSHEET, then it is a limitation in the eDrawings viewer.  There are enhancement requests about this already - the VAR should be able to help link you to those.

Regards -Tor

Peer Larson

For those still searching on this issue there have been some developments since the previous post of Nov, 2010.  Please refer to knowledgebase solution S-041824, updated last month.  That solution describes how at current $PRP values work and $PRPSHEET values don't.  However, it appears the issue is resolved in 2013a1 with SPR 424094's implementation.  Therefore upgrading to 2013 should resolve this issue.

Peer Larson

Allow me to provide clarification to my previous answer (and to be more inline with Tor's correct answer above).  The SPR 424094 seems to be describing a (now fixed) problem with the function of the intended behavior and not the automatic update of $PRPSHEET links without involving SW + the PDM Add-in.  The intended behavior is described in referenced S-041824 (last reviewed May this year - hasn't changed much) and the automatic update is described by the enhancement request SPR 482621 Part or Assembly custom properties copied to Drawing via $PRPSHEET variable mapping should not require a resave of drawing to work - which is still open.

Some of you may benefit by automating this process via a workflow task before the final release of your drawings (that is, the process of checking out a drawing, opening it, enabling the PDM Add-in, rebuilding, resaving, and checking in).  A basic (as-is) example exists on the knowledgebase under S-067261 (you'll have to ask your VAR for access to this - as it would need to be modified slightly to your situation).