AnsweredAssumed Answered

Motion Analysis CPU Utilization

Question asked by Alan Gaul on Nov 14, 2010
Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 by John Sutherland

Is there an option to control the CPU loading for simulation work?  I have been running some motion simulations under SW 2011, but need to reduce the time required for each simulation run.  The Windows Task Manager indicates that average CPU utilization is only about 25-30% when only SW is running.  This on a Dell T7400 with a four core processor.  Two cores are typically running a bit harder, perhaps 30-50%, while the other two cores are running around 15-20% while the simulation is active.  Most of the remaining CPU time is apparently being used by the system idle process.  Memory usage is reported around 4.5 GB on a machine with 8GB of RAM.

It seems like the system has either been set to limit total CPU utilization by a given process, or that certain threads are limiting performance.  I've tried raising the priority for the Solidworks process from "normal" to "high", but this just seems to shift a greater percentage of the load to the more heavily loaded cores.  The Resource Manager shows similar CPU trends and indcates some limited disk and network activity.  The disk activity is fairly frequent, but does not appear to be very heavy.  The machine is fairly well equipped for disk activity as well (boot drive is a 15K SAS drive, data drive is a pair of 7200 RPM SATA drives configured for RAID 0).

Any thoughts on how I might get the machine to utilize the rest of the available cycles for motion simulation?  Running SW at 25% makes it easy to run other simultaneous background tasks, but I'd like to push the machine harder if possible (especially overnight).  Photoview can easily "max out" all four cores, as can many other applications on this machine.  I've considered adding the second processor to expedite the work, but I suspect it will simply share the load eight ways instead of running faster.

Outcomes