AnsweredAssumed Answered

Assembling features with a deform and problems aligning top face coincident to top plane

Question asked by Robert Brookover on Nov 13, 2010
Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 by Matt Lombard

Hi,

I have 2 "half-legs" which are 180 degree revolves.  Both half-legs, when assembled, form a 360 degree full leg. 

Each half-leg has a deformation (from the "deform" tool), so that when I show the deformation, the half-legs will split (flare) apart (think of a drywall anchor, which flares apart inside the drywall).  This was done by sketching a target arc and deforming each half-leg along that arc's trajectory.

My issue is that when the half-legs are shown as deformed, the top face (plane) of each half-leg skews off the horizontal plane, causing an interference with each other, and with the part that is mounted to the top of the half-legs (not shown for clarity). 

Obviously, this will not work in "real-life" as it cannot be manufactured with such interference. 

I have tried defining restraints on each top face of each half-leg - (coincident to the top plane, parallel, locked, etc) - but none of the restraints remain active when I show the deformed versions of the half-legs. 

My question is - is there a type of restraint such that the top face of each half-leg always remains coincident to the top plane?  Or, is there an option in the deform tool such that when each half-leg is deformed, the top face of each half-leg remains coincident to the top plane (essentially slightly "rotating" each half-leg such that the top face pulls down & coincident to the top plane).

Or, is there some other way that I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Outcomes