16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2012 12:51 PM by Rick Wilson

stupid sketch relations error???

Mark Bishop

I have been using SW for almost 10 years and this just bugs the crap out of me. When I draw a line and want to add a line either next to it or maybe later and add a relation to it like maybe parallel, I get this stupid error "This relation could not be added because it would cause invalid geometry in the sketch" WTF???? All I want to do is add a line & have a relation to another line. Anyone that can help me, pleeeeez do!!

• Re: stupid sketch relations error???
          Lenny Bucholz

we could if you gave us a pic to look at or the file to try

Ahmad Ayesh

Mark, make sure that the dimension doesn't conflict with the relation you want

also make sure not to make 2 conflicted relation for the same entity

that's what i can say at moment, but share us a picture for your issue; this will give some explanation to solve it

best regards

Ahmad Ayesh

Ditmars Veinbachs

Hi Mark

I think I have an idea about what's going on here. This scenario appears to the eye that it should easily solve with the new relation. The problem is that the sketch solver can't see. After the parallel relation is added, the solver attempts to move geometry so that all conditions are satisfied. The solver considers the lines to be infinite and the end points are points coincident to the line. The construction line has a couple additional relations which will prevent its movement. As you have not added any dimensions, at least three of the points are free to move anywhere along the newly solved line. For example, the points may become coincident and create a zero length line. A zero length line is invalid and would cause you many downstream issues. I've seen the near parallel case fail more frequently in the 3D sketch, but it is possible in 2D as well. I expect you will get much better behavior if you add a couple dimensions or relations between the endpoints before making the lines parallel.

Best Regards

Ditmars

• Let's do that automatically - Re: stupid sketch relations error???
                Alin Vargatu

As a workaround for instantly adding a parallel relation as you draw.

Let's say the lines are not drawn yet.

1. Draw the construction line

2. Select the construction line

3. If you start drawing the second line - first click - (with the construction line selected at step 2) you will see the yellow inference lines, allowing you to draw the second line as perpendicular or parallel to the first one

4. The relation will be added automatically.

• Re: Let's do that automatically - Re: stupid sketch relations error???
                    Mark Bishop

That workaround sucks especially if the model is complicated like mine. (I draw musical instruments, Bassoons & Clarinets, etc.) Way to many areas that the line will try to make it's own relation or coincidents. This should be a simple relation.

Alin Vargatu

Sorry, I do not understand. Are you sure you tried my suggestion before rushing to say it sucks?

Once the line is selected (the orange one in the picture below) and you start drawing the second line, there are only 2 inference lines, which would create a parallel relation, respective a perpendicular relation to the selected line.

Try it for yourself.

inference lines.jpg

Mark Bishop

Alin,

Sorry there was nothing personal in my remark. I have been doin this for almost 10 years so I do now about what you are talking about. There may be more than one yellow dotted line depending on how complicated the model is. I just want to add a simple relation to two lines, period, without the workaround. It can be done. If I open a new part and start a simple sketch with the same two lines, I can add the relation without the yellow dotted line. Why can't that same thing apply in my complicated part?

Lenny Bucholz

because we have no idea how you made your complicated part and we don't have the file to try it to see what, when, where and why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we  can do it on our parts put yours up and we can be a detective to see why.

Alin Vargatu

Don't worry Mark, I understood exactly what you meant and what you need. It is possible that in your particular instance something as simple as adding that relation not to work.

That is why I proposed that workflow. You might want to try it and consider using it if needed because is fast. Always, try to add the relations as you draw the entities - you will save a lot of time that way. An no, in my workflow there are only 2 yellow inference lines, no matter how complex your sketch is.

Jon Beno

Was there any resolution to this issue?

I am having a similar issue.  I have had problems adding relations and get the error that you describe, "This relation could not be added because it would cause invalid geometry in the sketch."  It has occurred for equal length and collinear.  It doesn't occur consistently, sometimes I can draw two new lines and set them equal, sometimes I can't.  One notable detail is that I have the units set to feet & inches, and I can't get the error to occur in anything but feet and inches.  I have seen a few other people post issues on this problem and I highly doubt they have this unit selected.  I am also baffled why this would matter.  I have been playing around with it trying to find where the issue lies and have come up empty.

I have the most up to date version of Solidworks 2010.  I have used Solidworks for years and never remember fighting this hard with sketch relations.  I love Solidworks because they are so flexible/powerful.  Why can't I set two lines equal length (sometimes)?  But when it happens, trying again doesn't help, it continues to happen 100%.  Though, I left the sketch, re-entered and added the relation and it worked.  I have also changed the units to mm and had it work.  Doesn't SW used mm or something native internally and just convert the numbers it shows you?

Edit: I got the error in mm and inch as well.  It happens often when editing a sketch in the context of the assembly, and sometimes works if I open up the part alone and add the relation.  I'll try and get a simple part where the error is repeatable and post it.

Denny Metcalf

The method Alin describes almost always works.

I say "almost" because even though it's always worked, who knows, maybe it could fail some day in the distant future, maybe with some service pack or regres- *ahem* new feature.

To the OP:

If you're seeing lots of lines and different suggested relations then you likely havn't selected the construction line before pressing L to make your new line. I'm out of my place for saying this and I don't mean to be rude at all... 10 years is a long time but sometimes a fresh set of eyes is a good thing.

Rick Wilson

This issue started with me when I installed  SW 2010 on a new computer. I never had this problem with relations with my old computer. Both computers are running windows 7. I get this relation error alot and it really slows me down there should be a fix. Does anyone else have any ideas what could be doing this.

On my old computer that I didn't have a problem with this relation error I was running SP3.1. On the new computer i'm running SP4.0. Could this problem be in the service pack?