I don't think that is possible other than maintaining the card lists. May be this calls for an Enhancement Request.
I tried to make this work manually and found a bug when saving the search card saying "The Specified Card Variable is Missing". Using my own card variable works, however it won't match up with the correct variable on the file since the variable for workflow and state name needs to be PDM search variables and not card variables. I'm using 2010 SP3. I wonder if they fixed this in 2011.
Infact i did try this one on both the versions and came to the conclusion that i cannot be done. I guess we might have to live with it for a while.