10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2010 12:04 AM by Charles Reicherrt

Rod & Key Way

Charles Reicherrt

Simple Question:

I have a Pulley with a keyway. Pulley hole is 1" diameter with keyway measuring approx. .10" deep and .10" wide.  I wish to make a rod with a matching key to insert into the keyway.  Ive extruded a 5" rod with diameter of 1.1" and have inserted a rectrangle centered to act as the key.  How do I cut the rod down to 1" while keeping the .10" key for the keyway. Or should i have just created a circle with rectangle and then extrude.  I'm an ameter so please bear with me...

Thanks for the help!

Charles

• Re: Rod & Key Way
          Deepak Gupta

Charles, you'll have to model the shaft and key as two separate parts. For dimension tolerance refer to any machine design hand book.

Here are some helpful links

Shaft and keyway dimensions - Motor Technology

Calculator for fatigue strength of a drive shaft with keyway

Charles Reicherrt

Got it, thanks for the help.  One other question:

I now have a rod, and a pulley (two seperate files)...How do I superimpose the rod onto the pulley to see if it fits?  I believe there is an easy way to drag one file to another, I just cant rember how.

Thanks for the help

Charles

Wayne Tiffany

Start a new assembly and bring in the shaft.  Then bring in the pulley and mate it concentric to the shaft and something else (plane or keyway face, etc.) to locate the other two directions.  Think of this process as how it's done in real life.

WT

Charles Reicherrt

Got It, Thanks.

OK, SW mated the shaft with the pulley (concentric); however as you can see, the keyway's are not alligned, and the shaft is not centered lognitudinally inside the pulley.  How do I get the two componets to mate so the shaft is centered perfectly in the hole longitudinally, and the two keyways are alligned?

Thanks for all the help

Charles?

Deepak Gupta

There can be several ways to position them, like using planes, faces to put a coincident, parrallel, distance or width mate.

BTW you also need to attach the shaft and the pulley parts to open the assembly and fix the parts as per need.

Wayne Tiffany

I can't do anything with what you sent because you only sent the assy file - you have to also send the part files for me to be able to open it.  But I can look at it and what I see is that you just need to keep going.

Basically, I think you need to understand a bit of the basics here.  In SW you tell objects where to be and how to act by the use of dimensions, mates, relations, etc.  This means that in the case of the shaft, you want it to be concentric to the bore of the pulley.  So you pick the two faces and add a concentric mate which makes those two parts remain together in that fashion.  But as you have seen, the shaft can still move back and forth and can also rotate in the pulley.  Therefore you need to tell it how to act.  In the case of back and forth, you have said that you want the shaft centered in the pulley.  The best way is to have created the pulley with one of the main planes down the center.  Then the shaft would be created as a midplane extrude which would give you a plane in the middle of the shaft.  Then in the assy, you add a coincident mate between those two planes to hold them together in that orientation.  To establish the rotational position, I would have created the keyway in the shaft and the keyway in the pulley each centered on a system plane, and then in the assy I would mate those two planes.  If you didn't do that, then you can also select a face of the keyway in each part and add a parallel mate.

Now you have all degrees of freedom tied down and fully defined.  Take some time to go through some of the tutorials that come with SW - there are many basic concepts that you will pick up and will make your life much easier.

WT