4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 9:32 AM by Ryan Werner

Simulation File Saving Locations

Hi all,

I hope this is a quick fix, but iv searched everywhere for an answer.

Im sick of all my part folders having a million other files in there to do with simulation, every meshing operation saves an extra 3 files and when i run the simulation the same thing happen, and if i have a folder with many parts in there with many simulations run on them, my folders and just chocked up full of crap.

Is there a way to tell solidworks where to locate these files.

For reports after running the simulation i can designate a folder to put them in. But im not sure how i can do the same for the files automatically generated when setting up a simulation.

Any help appreciated guys.

Dean

• Re: Simulation File Saving Locations
          Ryan Werner

Hi Dean,

You can set the directory for each study to be wherever you want.  RMB on the name of the study in the Feature Tree, go to properties and then change the Results folder location.  You do have to do this for each study but for ones where you already have results if you change the location it will ask you if you want to copy the results files so at least the results will stay linked.

Ryan W.

Ryan Werner

Dean,

Sorry, you can choose a specific Results folder for all studies by default.  Go into the Simulation Options, choose the Default Options tab and under the Results section you can put a User Defined Results folder location.

Ryan W.

Hi Ryan,

yes the results files i see you can move the default saving location. But there are still meshing files that are automatically generated, that save in the same location as the part.

any idea on selecting where these files will save?

cheers

Ryan Werner

In my experience the temporary meshing files are always saved in the same location you choose for the results files.  Once the analysis has run you should only have a couple of results files left anyway.  Usually you will have a cwr. and log. file or something.  If you have a more complex analysis with bolted connections and the like than sometimes there will be a few more files.

Ryan W.