3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2010 5:07 PM by Bill McEachern

importing .fld file into simulation

Ryan Simons

I have a question about the transfer of the mesh from flow simulation into a static study simulation.

When pressure effects are imported into a static study from Flow Simulation, how are they plotted?

What i mean is, since one mesh is created in flow simulation and then another mesh is created in simulation, how does the distribution of pressure using the flow mesh translate to the elements of the static study simulation mesh?  The polygons are not the same.

Does the .fld file contain information about the mesh from flow simulation and then the static study simulation interpolates the .fld file mesh info into the study?

I ask because our customer does not understand how we can import CFD analysis results straight into FEA if we have to re-create a mesh in simulation.

Thanks for any help.

• Re: importing .fld file into simulation
          Bill McEachern

Hi Ryan,

It works sort of like this as near as I can figure it out: you have to do both of the analyses within the same document - typically an assembly. You run the cfd which is referenced to the global coordinate system. When you to the structural simulation the program more or less sees where the surfaces are intersecting the flow field - gets the pressure from the nearest cell and applies it to the same approximate location on the solid - perhaps with some sort of interpolation scheme - details of which are not known to me. You can not plot the pressure applied - no idea why that isn't possible but apparently it isn't. Hope that helps. You might want to run a simulation with just the flow loads and then look at the reactions to see if they are sensible in the context of what you are doing.

Ryan Simons

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately you have to input a load along with the pressure effects, or you get an error message saying no loads have been specified.

It's a little sketchy that you can't plot the pressure applied, but i'll keep digging for information.

Bill McEachern

well just put in something relatively trivial and you can ignore it. The pint was to assess the load as being reasonable. The systems response would likely not be terribly sensitive to small variations introduced due to however the interpolation scheme works - you could probably get away with not having one and it would still be pretty close as long as duplication was avoided but even that would be conservative typically.