2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2010 5:59 AM by Regis WACHEUX

Thermal Transient model

I am trying to do a transient thermal analysis of a skateboard truck. One of the thermal loads that I need to apply is an initial temperature. After applying all of the loads, in what appears to be a successful manner, I click run. At this time the model is meshed and the simulation begins. However, after getting past the successful mesh stage, there is a warning stating that the temperature load has failed. According to the help menu, when there is no temperature load in place the default temperature is 0 K. This is evident once the results are processed. The maximum temperature of the model never breaks 200 K, which, quite obviously is incorrect. I'm not sure why the temperature load fails, since there is no error message of any kind just a failure message. CAE said to contact the network administrator which appears to be you. I'm not sure if it is an improper application of other thermal loads that interferes with this or not, however it may be some files that didn't get installed or something. At this time I am purely speculating. What is the cause of this error?

• Re: Thermal Transient model
          Ryan Werner

Hi Zach,

Usually when a study has any type of load fail like that it is because the geometry on which that load is based has been lost.  It can be strange sometimes though because if you check the properties of the load everything shows up fine and looks correct.  If that is happening try deleting your first load and just creating another.  If that still does not work than go through the bodies in your study and make sure that the body you are apply the load to is showing up and that it is not showing up more than once.  As a last resort you may have to recreate the the study from scratch.  This type of thing was more of a problem in 2009, it seems to have gotten more reliable in 2010. Good Luck.

Ryan W.

• Re: Thermal Transient model
              Regis WACHEUX

Hi Zach,

For a transient temperature simulation, requiring an initial temperature, I run a pre-study in steady state.

a) create a thermal steady state study

b) temperature load : convection, etc..., and set the temperature as the defined initial temperature (e.g. room temperature).

c) mesh and run the study.

d) the result thermal study should show one temperature only on the whole model.

d) create a second thermal study, transient.

e) in the study properties, set the transient temperatures, with "intial temperatures from the study ...", and choose the 1st steady state study name there. This will create the thermal load initial temperatures in your transient study.