4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2010 2:02 PM by Larry Howard

Flow Simulation or Simulation Premium conduction test in solids.

Larry Howard

I am trying to run an analysis with two materials coincident. 250 degree Celcius initial temperature Polyethylene (PE) against  a constant 12 deg Celcius 1060 Alloy. I want to see how long it takes the PE to reach 80 deg Celcius. Any help?

• Re: Flow Simulation or Simulation Premium conduction test in solids.
          Satit Nilyai

Hi You must use SW Simulation Professional. You have to analyse thermal under transient condition.

Larry Howard

Thank you, I've set up the model in Simulation and it ran. Looks good so far!

To further refine the model I wish to add convection to the analysis, what would be a good Convection Coefficient to use for air passing over Polyethylene at about 180 meters per minute?

Secondly, I would like to add a sensor to the model embedded in the center of the PE material not on the surface. I can't get the 3D Sketch Point to be recognized. Is there another way?

Regis WACHEUX

Larry,

To respond to your second point :

I had the same issues.

Adding points or lines in the model does not ensure that the mesh creates the nodes on this geometry.

It was solved by a geometry splitting.

You split the PE part in the Model, for example into 8 pieces, to access to a specific point or line in the simulation. In the Simulation, set-up Global contact/Bonded/incompatible mesh. In that way, you are sure that the meshes will follow the geometry and have a node at that point. (I used this trick to be able to control the meshes dimension, and have the result temperatures defined exactly at the XYZ points I needed on a line inside a material).

Eventually: Add a Sensor in the model, showing Simulation data / Thermal / Average over selected entities, and select the Vertex.

Hide some of the PE parts in the Model (but not suppress). It will allow the access to the vertex.

After running the study, in the thermal result, Probe either the defined Sensor, or Probe the vertex geometry.

You will get the temperature value at that point, (and not the temperature at the nearest node).

In the attached example files, a cylinder with rounded tip (black) is splitted into 5 pieces. For the simulation, 4 pieces are represented as Shown, and 1 piece is Hidden (cylinder splitted.png). All splitted parts are taken into account in the mesh (Mesh verified.png), and a node is exactly defined at the needed point, where a Probe can be hooked (Probe on the vertex.png).

Does anyone have another solution ?