7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2010 2:17 PM by Mike Tombino

Ballooning Large Assembly

Jason Knoll

Hi, We have a fairly large main assembly and we have no sub assemblies in said large main assembly, that way we have a flat BOM of all the parts in it.  What we'd like to do is make sub assemblies from the main assembly so we can have an exploded view and balloon accordingly.  I'd like to take the ballooned sub assembly drawing and copy and paste it into the large main assembly drawing as a new sheet.  I tried this and am unable to then link this sub assembly page to the flat BOM of the large main assembly.  Has anyone else had a reason to try what we are trying?  Any suggestions?

• Re: Ballooning Large Assembly
          Dean Baragar

Basically you want to create a drawing file that has for example 5 sheets - where 1 sheet is the whole assembly complete with BOM, and then the 4 sheets that would follow could be ballooned with item numbers that match up with the BOM on the front page?

Dale Dunn

In order for the drawing view to connect to the BOM, the drawing view must reference the same assembly and configuration. Try using display states to limit what is visible in views instead of using subassemblies.

Jason Knoll

Yes Dean that is correct.  Dale, your reply sounds correct.  I am using display states for other assemblies and configurations to show more detail in my drawings but this one is more complex and time consuming.  We were hoping to have sub assemblies already ballooned that we could use over and over but it sounds like that won't work.  Has anybody else found the easy button for this?  Ha!  Does anybody have a different way of doing this that I'm not seeing?

Krzysztof Grzebieniowski

I'd insert subassem and move there some parts,

Dean Baragar

I tend to create a separate BOM for each subassembly and in the main assembly BOM I display top level components...or in other words only sub-assemblies; this way you can identify the sub-assembly in the main assembly, and only the relevant parts are in the subassembly BOM.  If things worked the way I wanted them to, I would have a main assembly BOM with items numbers for example 1-20, while the four subassembly drawings would have items numbers 1-5, 5-10, 10-15, 15-20 respectively rather than 1-5, 1-5, 1-5, 1-5 as item numbers in the sub-assemblies.

Edit: Sorry that is a little off topic in regards to ballooning, but there is the option to balloon the item with its file name. Would this be an option?

Mike Tombino

You could create a sub-assy and drawing (with balloons) and copy/paste a view to your top level assy drawing.