AnsweredAssumed Answered

Rip lines on face with beveled edges for flat patterns

Question asked by Dominic Falcione on Nov 3, 2010
Latest reply on Nov 4, 2010 by Dominic Falcione

Ok, to make a long story short, I have some things I am calling "wireframe pedestals" that I am making in steel. I have already made two by the method I am going to describe. The pedestals have some odd angles that are used to give them an optical illusion type of look. Solidworks is letting me do all the positioning of the structural members just the way I want them (which is a lot more complex than it looks) and then I am going through and pulling each member into a new part file. There, I am shelling out the member to get an even thickness, sketching a rip line on an appropriate face, then inserting bends to give me a flat pattern. I am then printing the flat pattern and wrapping them around the actual steel tubing to scibe my angles. The angles, or bevels, on the material thickness do not matter too much, I am just undercutting, or coping, the cuts so they fit without problematic gaps. Then I am just mig welding the actual members together (no, I don't have a tig yet), burring the welds and finishing them off. The first two I have done turned out great. I was amazed at how the members fit together so that it eliminated a lot of timely jig work and assembly clamping prior to welding. Most of the time went into the software and finishing the welds. What an awesome way to work!

However, the third pedestal is showing some problems. A lot of the angles of the members have beveled edges because there isn't a straight-forward cut anywhere.

No matter how thin I shell the tubing out, solidworks still sees that edges are beveled (of course, I suppose). And, solidworks won't let me cut rips where the sketch line end points are on an edge whose face is not planar (or, 90 degrees). I believe the message states:  Error- edges at the ends of the sketch line should be planar.

At least, that is how I am interpreting the error message.

Anyone know a way around this? Do I continue the sketch from the face to another sketch on the beveled faces of the edges? (I pretty much just thought of that)

Here are some pics for reference....

wfp3_final_common view.JPGwfp3_final_bottom view.JPG

wfp3_final-PART4_rip sketch.JPGwfp3_final-PART4.JPG

These are the wood models....

Untitled-1.jpg

kdk_1927.jpg

kdk_1946.jpg

kdk_1947.jpg

kdk_1949.jpg

Outcomes