5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 6:56 AM by Lucas Dexter

Viewing CADRA files in EPDM (eDrawings)

Lucas Dexter

Has anyone had the need to view CADRA files in EPDM?  We are implementing EPDM at a new site that uses CADRA for 2D electrical drawings.  Unfortunately the preview in EPDM does not have the capability of viewing CADRA files.  I am trying to get away from creating a PDF, doing some custom programming, or managing a stand alone viewer.  The scope of the viewable files within EPDM is for read only users on the shop floor who will not have a full version of CADRA on their machines.

Thanks,

Lucas 

• Re: Viewing CADRA files in EPDM (eDrawings)
          Raguraman Thulasiraman

Lucas,

You need to configure EPDM and integrate CADRA to EPDM. Then you can view the files within EPDM. Also we can creat add-ins to generate the pdf file for CADRA. Pls. find the enclosed image. We have done it for our customer.

Lucas Dexter

Hello Raguraman,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I know how to link the viewer to the "view File" button in EPDM but do not know how to embed it in the preview.  I would like to stay away from creating and maintaining PDF files in the vault if at all possible.

We actually have a home grown program for all read only users to view files in the vault so they do not have to go through Windows Explorer.  We use eDrawings to view CAD files and the Outsidein viewer to view all other files within that tool.  I am hoping there is a way to embed the CADRA viewer in that tool as well.  Getting it to preview in EPDM, however, is a great start I may be able to work with.

I am in contact with our VAR about this as well.

Thanks,

Lucas

Bill Stadler

Did you ever find a solution?  We converted our cadra files to dwg but preseverd the history in EPDM.  I am now looking for something to view the CADRA files in EPDM.

Thanks,

Bill

Charley Saint

Bill,

I'm not certain this will work, but we did this for stl files and it worked pretty well. To add a preview handler to EPDM you just need to add a registry key with the file extension and tell it what viewer to use. So go into the registry on a machine with EPDM, add a key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\FileFormats that matches the file extension you are working with, then add a string value under that key named 4 and put in the dll that previews the file as the value, if you can open the file in eDrawings then use SolidWorksPlugin.dll, but you may need to play around with some of the others if that doesn't work, possibly AutoVuePlugin.dll

Do the same thing under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\FileFormats

Lucas Dexter

Hi Bill,

Yes, I finally came up with a solution to our opportunity.  Charley Saint has the right idea.  Since CADRA viewer has the ability to integrate into Internet Explorer I was able to use KB Solution S-014109 to come up with a work around solution.  It is sometimes very finicky depending on the machine for some reason, but for the most part the user community seems pleased with the results.

The solution works in the EPDM preview in Windows Explorer and also in our home grown vault viewer.  The only down side is the CADRA viewer does not have all the cool features that eDrawings has.  Ultimately being able to view the files in eDrawings is the ideal solutuion but it looks like that is not high priority for SolidWorks at this time.

Good Luck!

Lucas Dexter