6 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2006 4:25 PM by

Exporting Large Assembly Files

Does anyone know how to save large assemblies as a single part and keep the file size to a minimum. We design large machine centers that tie in together on a large system layout. The individual assemblies can vary up to 20 to 50MB. I've tried saving them as a single part, but the file size is about the same or sometimes even larger. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
      David
        • Exporting Large Assembly Files
          Hello David-

After Saving the Assembly as a Part, Save the Part as a neutral file format such as Parasolid, STEP or IGES. Next, Open this new file and SolidWorks should bring it in as a "dumb solid" and this file should be smaller.

Best Regards,
          Devon T. Sowell
          www.3-ddesignsolutions.com
            I could reduce the part file size by a few meg, but the part vs. assembly file is still larger. Part file is 8mbyte assembly file is 3.8mbyte.

Thanks,

Dave
              I could set the image quality down to minimum but the save tessalation box is greyed out and I can't remove the check.
                Sorry, that option is only available in Part files. Were you able to reduce your file size?

Devon
                  Hello Todd-

I hadn't done this in a while, so I tried this again this morning. Here's what I got;

I got a 2.8MB assy to a 1.3MB part with no further growth after multiple saves.

Here's what helped;
                  1. In both the native assy file and later, the new part file, go to tools, options, document, and slide the image quality indicators all the way to the left. And, uncheck save tessellation when saving.
                  2. When saving the assy as a part, choose exterior faces.
                  3. When round tripping, save as Parasolid x_t.
                  4. Again, in the new part file, set the image quality indicators all the way to the left. And, uncheck save tessellation when saving.

Best Regards,
                  Devon T. Sowell
                  www.3-ddesignsolutions.com
                    I just tried this with a large assy. I saved an assy (15Mb) as a part, file size is reduced to 6Mb. Save again, 12 Mb, save a third time 14.4Mb. I exported as a "dumb solid" and got 5Mb. I hit save, 12.4Mb, once more 13.4Mb. Not much space saving here.......