9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2010 9:12 AM by Mike Kovach

Meshing Problems

Mike Kovach

Been using Simulation for some time with good success.  All of a sudden meshing will fail. Even a sample test block without an assembly will fail.

Says "surface meshing OK, volume meshing failed"  Tried all kinds of variations to no success.  Even Simulation Express will not mesh.

What happened/changed.  How do I get back????

• Re: Meshing Problems
          Ryan Werner

Dumb question maybe but have you tried making the mesh really fine?  Does it fail no matter what your mesh size and tolerance are set at?  What about with a mutlti body part?  Will it mesh some of the bodies or do they all fail?  Sorry for the questions, just looking for a little more info to help troubleshoot.

Ryan W.

Chris Michalski

I found a similar problem recently.  Ran the thermal simulations and attempted to resolve the stresses in one part with no luck.

The part had a minimum wall thickness of 0.10" and tried all the way down to .001" cells but it continued to fail the volume mesh.

I haven't run another mechanical simulation since so I hope it's just that one model that's corrupt, and not a systemic problem like you're indicating.

The odd thing is that model was a single part representation of a muli-part body (kind of like making a weldment into a single piece) - the multi-part meshed and ran just fine, the single body has volume mesh errors.

Mike Kovach

Here is the part and the message I get.

Pretty simple

Ryan Werner

Ok, this might seem like a strange question but how have you been opening the file?  From Windows Explorer or by using the open command in SWX?  I have found that sometimes depending on how I open a file strange things like this will happen like the Iterative Solver will fail.  Just this morning I had a weldment mesh fail after it had successfully meshed minutes because I had gone in and edited a bolted connection.  I had to close the part and reopen it through SWX, then it meshed fine again.

Ryan W. 

Mike Kovach

I open through SW.  I have created the test part, saved and it will not mesh for volume.  I have not tried to open thru explr.

Ryan Werner

Well Mike, you got me.  Sounds like it is more of a SWX problem than anything you have done.  Maybe something got changed but I really have no idea what.  One last thought.  Have you tried with the Curvature Based mesher?  Even though it does the same thing I was just wondering if maybe it might work.  My next step I guess would be to contact my VAR and see what they say. 

Ryan W.

Stephan Nortje

Hi, try this - it has worked time and time again for me.

C Kriek

Reutech Radar Systems

South Africa

Mike Kovach

Has been resolved.

Last night I read an earlier post on the issue and discovered the results folder was change by SW.  This caused the solid to mesh but not the volume to mesh.  I changed the results folder to something more shallow in the folder system and it took off.

Thanks for all the help and input.