8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2010 5:49 AM by Ellizory Elli

Problems with text files (.NET plugin)

Ellizory Elli

I have a plugin, written in C#, all works perfectly, except the thing, that when I changing text file (they are added to a vault) with StreamWriter, changes are not concidered, and after files are unlock, they are as they were before lock..

What's interesting, if I open the file before unlock in notepad.exe and just click "save". It's all ok. So, I think, PDM doesn't get signal that "file has been changed", and don't update it to the server.

So, what should I do?

Thank you.

• Re: Problems with text files (.NET plugin)
          Lee CS Young

Hard to say without looking at some code. Can you post the relevant portion?

Ellizory Elli

Looks this way:

IEdmFile5 file = ProjectFolder.GetFile("SubGroupList.txt");
              file.LockFile(ProjectFolder.ID, 0);
              File.Delete(ProjectFolder.LocalPath + "//SubGroupList.txt");
              StreamWriter SW =
              new StreamWriter(ProjectFolder.LocalPath + "//SubGroupList.txt",true);
              SW.WriteLine(Group + "," + SubGroup);
              SW.Close();
              file.UnlockFile(0, "", 2); // 2 - Remove local copy after check in

Lee CS Young

Try SW.Flush(); before Close().

SW.Flush();

Sw.Close();

Ellizory Elli

I tried flush, it didn't help

And as i understand Close cause autoflushing

Lee CS Young

You're right, Close does call flush before closing the stream.

Have you tried editing the existing file instead of deleting it and creating it again? (According to MSDN, if the file exists the file is overwritten so you don't need to call File.Delete anyway...)

Ellizory Elli

well, so what should I try? How according to MSDN I can edit text file w\o overwriting it?

.. as I said, after Closing stream and before Unlocking file I open it in notepad for an only purpose - to save it. And it works...

Lee CS Young

You can edit a file using StreamWriter and StreamReader.

This code works fine here. The date changes each time.

using System;
                                  using EdmLib;

namespace EDPMStreamWriterTest
                                  {
                                      class Program
                                      {        
                                          static void Main(string[] args)
                                          {
                                              IEdmVault5 vault = new EdmVault5Class();
                                              vault.Login("lyoung", "ICanHazCheezBurgerz??", "EPDM");
                                              if (vault.IsLoggedIn)
                                              {
                                                  IEdmFile5 file = vault.RootFolder.GetFile("testdoc.txt");
                                                  if (file != null)
                                                  {
                                                      file.LockFile(vault.RootFolder.ID, 0);
                                                      using (System.IO.StreamWriter sw = new System.IO.StreamWriter(file.LockPath))
                                                      {
                                                          sw.WriteLine(DateTime.Now);
                                                      }
                                                      file.UnlockFile(0, "none", 2);
                                                  }
                                              }
                                          }
                                      }
                                  }

Ellizory Elli

It really works fine, though it is the same as mine (Deleting file was testing option)

-------

Now, I finally have found out , that problem was in the case when I've just created file:

file = (IEdmFile5)ProjectFolder.Vault.GetObject(EdmObjectType.EdmObject_File, ProjectFolder.AddFile(0, "", "GroupList.txt"));

this way AddFile creates new file (don't copy existing) in the vault.. and my attempts to write some data to a newly created file was failed in 90% (it was strange, that sometimes they left).

So I replaced actions - first, I make a local file, write there data, and then use ProjectFolder.AddFile(0, ProjectFolder.ID+"\\GroupList.txt", ""), so it was copied but not created..

Maybe this info will be useful for someone, I don't know..

However, thank you