Daniel Melendez

Progression's SWx 2011 Rollout

Discussion created by Daniel Melendez on Oct 20, 2010
Latest reply on Oct 20, 2010 by Duan Packard

Hi all I attended the SWx 2011 rollout by Progression yesterday. Much the same as the other two VAR's commented on by Thomas earlier. They covered basically the same thing. The usual Progression crew was there, John Forbes, Nick Vloitos, Tim Strange, Brad Williamson (Presenter) and the new and lovely Amanda Cruz.

Jay Bailes from TSA gave a short spiel on HP PC's and thier roll with SWx and what they have to offer. New Z200, Z400, Z600 and Z800 and of course for those with the bucks even more options.

Weldments:  I do have to say I was really glad to see the New weld bead function.  And finally you can (dymanically) reorder the Weldment Cutlist similar to the BOM. Finally!

Revolved: you now have the start and end conditions similar to extrude. Thanks!

Helix: with it's new functionality. I wish I could explain it better but for me the helix is always a hit or miss.

Measure Tool: Yea! finally non-modal it can stay on even during other command functions.

Speed Pack: You now have the option to pick open in speed pack. Speed pack hmmm not sure I like it. (All versions of SWx)

Views: Can now show the lines in the color of the model being shown, doesn't affect line type weight. Oh the autospacing on the dimension is now functional. A cool feature I like, you can now pattern notes/text.

Simulation: Some real cool and very functional changes in simulation. Beyond my scope. 2 New module/add ons Electrical, HVAC with      expanded libraries.

Sheet Metal: Has better pattern capabilities. Now creates a blank sketch in the flat pattern (nice). Added a new bend calculation table for        special materials or shop requirements.

Automation: Driveworks express: Conditional equations, and global variables now available. (Too much power in the hands of sales guys.)

Grid System: A new tool for plant layouts or very large scale assemblies. Neat.

Routing: This I really liked. In the piping, fittings now autosize to match mating part sizes. Routing wizard now stream lined, with routing            library manager outside of SWx. P&ID schematic input dialogue box while creating routing. Now provides for weld gap. Can use P&ID to route 3D model (nice). New route-a-long command able to dimension from pipe O.D. helping keep close tolerance between pipe and adjacent parts. New move with triad command to rotate and position fittings.

Model Exchange: For those times you have to send a vendor/customer modeled parts you can shave off any unecessary and proprietary items.

Appearances: Improved rendering, decals and more. (All versions of SWx).

Thanks, Daniel

Outcomes