8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2010 5:49 PM by van tran

Animation of rolling a flat sheet to a tube

van tran

Hi all,

I am a Solidwork beginer user and have to make an animation that shows a tube (2 open ended) is made by rolling a flat thin flexible plastic sheet. I will also have to show some bending of the tube.

Any idea how to do it? I still do not have any idea how to start it.

I'd really appreciate any help!!!

-V.

• Re: Animation of rolling a flat sheet to a tube
          Jan Van Leeuwen

Which tube design do you want to get: with a straight seam co-linear with the tube axis OR with a spiral seam. The methods differ.

van tran

Thanks, Jan. Let's go with a straight seam co-linear with the tube axis first.

Anthony Botting

Hi Van . that can be done using the nonlinear static simulation and shell elements. For the straight seam model, fix one seam of the tube and put-in a 2 X pi rotation along the other seam edge. This is a non-zero displacement type of "Fixture" (sounds like an oxymoron) -you can go into the Fixture folder, Advanced, and input the 2pi value therem as a finite rotation. You can take defaults to ramp-up the displacement over the default one "second" time interval. The nonlinear option of "Large displacements" should be checked in the properties of the study. We are assuming the only nonlinearity has to do with the calculation of displacements (material behaves linear as well as "small strain" assumption is maintained). Hope this helps. -Tony

Stefan Wozniak

Nonlinear study will give you correct results but if you need only visualization then you don't need sim Premium. I think you can do that in swx standard package.

It's only idea I did not do that. You need to draw sketch showing bending. Spline from flat to almost circle (no self intersection). then you need to create part related to part of this spline. Then moving part along path in animator will update shape of this part to spline shape.

You can try it but it isn't easy.

I think that nonlinear will be easier. But as results you will get only surface deformation. Perhaps you can use 2D simplification in SWX 2011 to get fast results for volume mesh.