7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2010 11:07 AM by 1-GRZ6PZ

Recurring crash when trying to edit external load

I consistently have a problem with Solidworks crashing when I try to edit a pressure load on an assembly that I'm trying to analyze using Simulation.  I don't get any error message indicating what the problem is.  It happened when I tried to analyze an indiviual part as well.  I have a study set up.  All parameters are defined.  I try edit a pressure load to add pressure to new surfaces by right clicking the pressure load and it locks up completely or crashes and closes Solidworks.  Has anyone experienced this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Recurring crash when trying to edit external load

I just figured out that this crash occurs when the pressure is applied to more than 50 surfaces.  Now, I can try to do the analysis by limiting the surfaces that the pressure is applied to but I hope there is some kind of solution to this that won't make that necessary.  I've done studies with previous versions of Soliworks/Simulation (Cosmos) that have work with more than 50 surfaces under pressure.

Ryan Werner

Hi Jeff,

I have not had that problem with pressure because I have never selected 50 faces before.  However, I did have the same issue with Mesh Control.  I had one Mesh Control where I had chosen 72 edges and it would just crash if I ever went to edit the control.  I had to create two 36 edge controls to get it to work.  I contacted my VAR and they confirmed that it was the number of edges chosen creating the crash and suggested I split them up.  So, I would imagine it is the same type of problem for you.

Ryan W.

Anthony Botting

That is very similar problem which I had. I needed to apply a distributed load (total force) over many surfaces - and frequently SW would crash when I attempted to edit the load, or run the solver. I would edit the load because I noticed a couple surfaces somehow got deselected when I closed and re-opened the part. Hmmm. That happened several times. I finally gave-up on that approach and cured the issue by getting rid of multiple surfaces and using one (a different one, which I exposed by getting rid of some features). Thanks for this tip.

Thanks for your responses.  It's nice to know it's not just me losing my mind!

I called our Solidworks vendor and he told me that he helped another customer with a similar problem and it was a bug having to do with the geometry of the surrfaces.  He said the bug was fixed in SP4 and suggested I up upgrade to that (I'm still on SP3).  This could be what I was experienceing because when I only choose the major (simplest) surfaces, which happen to be less than 50 in number, I don't experience the problem.  I'll update this when I find out if the upgrade solves the problem.

Did you add another external load or edit the size of original external load ?

If you added another load,but did not edit the 'Fixtures', solidworks may be closed with fault.

You can try after editing the fixtures.

It appears that SP4 solved my problem.  I haven't experienced the crash since upgrading.   Sorry it took so long to reply.