4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2010 7:32 PM by Robert Stemen

Using AutoCAD hatch patterns in SW...?

Robert Stemen

I have some custom AutoCAD hatch patterns with an extension of .PAT.  Can these be used in SW?  If so, how can I load them in?

• Re: Using AutoCAD hatch patterns in SW...?
          Charles Culp

You will have to open up the file and find out if it matches the SolidWorks hatch pattern. I assume is does not.

C:\ProgramFiles\Solidworks\lang\english\Sldwks.ptn

You can open up that file in notepad, there are directions on how to create new hatch patterns.

Robert Stemen

Hi Charles,

thanks for the tip, it works great.  I now have a new problem...

I was able to add in 2 of the 12 custom patterns successfully and they show up in my crosshatch menu.  When I add the others (3 thru 12) and save, I am unable to even open SW.  It crashes immediately.  I deleted 4 thru 12 and same thing... crash.  I deleted 4 and kept the first 2 and sure enough, no problems.

Please note, custom hatch patterns 3 thru 12 are lengthy patterns.  is there a max number of lines SW can handle?

I have attached one of the lengthy hatch patterns as I am inserting it into the SW .ptn file.  Please let me know if i'm doing something wrong...

Thanks

Robert

Charles Culp

Robert,

I don't know the answer. It would probably take a designer at SolidWorks to answer that question, or someone else who tried to make complex hatches.

Wow, 16798 lines. I'm not surprised you ran out of bits. You may be limited to 8 bits (256) or 10 bits (1024). Try limiting it to some number less than those to test?

Robert Stemen

well...  I added in a pattern that was only 28 lines and it's not working...  From everything I have read in forums, here and elsewhere, it seems like SW could really use some kind of crosshatch pattern editor/creator.

It would be nice to be able to draw up a pattern in a sketch, open a crosshatch property manager, highlight the pattern and click on "Create Crosshatch"...  wala...  the crosshatch code is created automatically and added to the PTN file.

hmmmm...

I'm gonna keep researching and I'll post if I run across anything.

Thanks