4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2010 3:36 AM by Amirtharaj Vk

Why does Solidworks freeze when attempting to modify a dimension?

Ramon Martinez

Hello everyone, I have been running SW2010 SP04 for over a month without any issue until yesterday when I began having problems when attempting to modify a dimension.

The modify dimension box will appear and solidworks will freeze. I have to terminate the program through the task manager. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'm running a Dell Precision M6400, Quadro FX2700M Video card and Windows XP.

Any suggestions on what may be causing this issue?

• Re: Why does Solidworks freeze when attempting to modify a dimension?
          Ramon Martinez

Furthermore, if input dimension value is selected, I am not able to dimension anything, as soon as I attempt to dimension a sketch, the modify dimension box appears and Solidworks freezes.

Anna Wood

Any Windows or other program updates done recently?  Is your computer over-heating?  Maybe some hardware starting to go bad on the system?  How old is it?  Has the system been cleaned up lately, temp files, defragged, clean the dust bunnies out of the fans?

Ramon Martinez
                  Hi Anna,
                  Thank you for responding,the computer is fairly new, no dust bunnies (it's a workstation laptop, doesn't stay in place long enough to collect them),it's not running hot (the problem is repeatable even right after booting up) I've reinstalled Solidworks twice, used Solidworks RX to clean up temp files, etc.. I do suspect a Windows update, this issue cropped up right as the Windows update shield popped up on the tray, this may be coincidental..or not. If it is a windows update, this issue would be more widespread, no? Do you know how the modify dimension feature works? I tried different things until I found that if I uncheck "Input dimension value" in system options, I can modify the dimension from the dimension menu that appears on the left when I click on the dimension. I don't know why this method works while using the "Modify" dimension box crashes Solidworks.
                  Thanks again for your help,
                      Amirtharaj Vk

Hi Ramon:

One of our customer faced this issue. This may cause because of any of the following:

1. Pre Request files (such as: .Net FrameWorks, Microsoft Redistributable, etc) got corrupted

2. SolidWorks registry may be corrupted

Solution #1

Browse HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Software, SolidWorks folder from registry and rename SolidWorks folder as SolidWorks_Old. Now open SolidWorks and check whether the problem resolved. You need admin previlage to perform this acitivity.

Solution #2:

Uninstall SolidWorks clearly. Uninstall all the pre-requests also. Delete all the registry key and folder relavent to SolidWorks. Now install all the prerequest first and then install SolidWorks.

It will diefinetly resolve the issue.

Yours Sincerely

Amirtharaj K
                      Manager - Large Account Technical Support
                      EGS Computers India Pvt Ltd
                      Chennai. INDIA

www.egsindia.com
                      www.egs.co.in