7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 12:07 PM by Pete Luna

Imporing a PNG file?

Pete Luna

I am currently having trouble trying to import a PNG file into solidworks and converting it into a part file . I just need to be able to attach a label to a part but I am unable to

convert the file. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pete

• Re: Imporing a PNG file?
          Charles Culp

Perhaps you are looking for the sketch picture option?

Create a sketch on a plane that you want the .png file to show on. Then choose Tools>Sketch Tools>Sketch Picture.

- Thanks Don.

Pete Luna

An additional question regarding the PNG file once I have imported it into Solidworks it comes across in a rectangular profile, however the image that I need is in the center as a circular image. Is there any way that I can mask the outer image of the sketch?

Pete

Anna Wood

See Mark's response for a technique to edit your image.

What do you plan to do with this picture? What is your ultimate end goal?

Do you want to apply this image to a surface in your model like you would with a decal?

If yes, you need SolidWorks Pro or Premium, and then use the Decal command.

Cheers,

Anna

Hi Pete,

Yes, while in sketch picture, select "use image" under transparency.  If the PNG has a transparent background, SW will show just your artwork with no background. If the background is white, it means that this is the way it looked in the photo editor. If there isn't any transparency in the background, take it into a photo editing program and remove the background around your circle and then save as png.

regards

Mark

Pete Luna

Thank you Anna and Mark,

Anna I was in fact trying to create a label which I only needed to attach to a flat surface your advise was useful. Mark the transparency option helped me to complete the transformation of the label. Thank you for the help.

Pete