2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2010 10:14 AM by Corey Vantilborg

Custom Properties and Data Cards in perfect harmony? Is it possible?

Matthew Tavares

So we are converting over to EPDM at my company. We already use custom properties linked into our Drawing Templates. Now that we are migrating to EPDM we have data cards that achieve the same thing as custom properties. Ideally I would like to use both at the same time. In data cards, fields like "DrawnBy" can be represented as a drop down with all the EPDM users listed automatically in the drop down box. Is there a way to do this in custom properties?

• Re: Custom Properties and Data Cards in perfect harmony? Is it possible?
          Jeremy Schmidt

You can setup templates within the Custom Properties, but you cannot apply the same rules/constraints that you can within the data card.  I have found this to be a real limitation in the software.  For example, I have a table on the drawing that houses revision information.  The table is populated by custom properties which are pushed to the file from the data card.  The user is only given edit capabilities within EPDM to modify the values of one field of this table.  However, the user can edit any of the custom properties within the file.  In my opinion, this is unacceptable.

Not to mention that I have found a couple scenarios in which you can the data card values and custom property values to get out of sync.  The is a major issue for us.

• Re: Custom Properties and Data Cards in perfect harmony? Is it possible?
            Corey Vantilborg

Matthew,

This is a case where the API is your friend. The only way to do this is writing your own custom property manager.  The Solidworks one does not interact at all with Enterprise.

Using the Property Tab builder you can mimick the datacard pretty well but it will not really be in sync. You can create a drop down box for a particular property.

Corey V

Tigercat Industries