3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2010 12:40 PM by Bill McEachern

Stewart Platform

Matthew Frost

I'm designing an inverted cable driven stewart platform and wondering if any one has experience modeling this sort of thing and analyzing it in SW?stewart pic.png

My first pass was a 3D sketch with weldment profiles for the structure and cable.  It works well with simulation as far as I can get it to spit out axial forces (tension) in the cables, but it is very difficult to change cable lengths.  Even with a design table I easily wind up with kinematic inversions.  Also it is easily possible to show compression in the cables, which in reality would be impossible.

• Re: Stewart Platform
          Daniel Mundstock

Simulation does not have a cable (traction only) element. You see compression because you are, in fact, using a beam or truss element.

• Re: Stewart Platform
              Matthew Frost

Thanks for the reply Daniel.  I appreciate you taking your time help.

Yes I am fully aware SW does not have a cable option (I called my local  tech support to ask about this first before posting) and that the truss is in  compression.  What I am really looking for is work  arounds, useful tricks, best practices that perhap other users have found while  working with stewart platforms.

I chose a 3D sketch with weldments linked to a excel table mostly because the simulation would run fast and it is very easy to modify.  I could also use this 3D sketch later as a skelton part for a final assembly.  I am curious to here other users experiences with stewart platform designs and how they approached the problem.