2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 10:11 AM by Chris Michalski

x-y co-ordinate table for spline curve

Bill Weisman

Hi All,

Design a part with a 2D curve shape on one edge.  Is there a way of creating a x-y table for points on that curve in drawing?

Otherwise, I'll have to setup a origin point and measure all of the reference points for that curve.

Bill

• Re: x-y co-ordinate table for spline curve
          Harold Brunt

I haven't tried this so take it for it's worth but, perhaps you could generate your curve using a design table driven spline with the number of reference points you desire. Then import the X-Y coordinates as an Excel table into your drawing.

• Re: x-y co-ordinate table for spline curve
            Chris Michalski

I know this is an old post, but I just had to do this and was excited that I figured out a way around the limitations of SW so I wanted to share :-)

I have an elliptical surface to be machined without CAM software.  So....

Make a sketch and convert the contoured edge.

Make an intersecting line and linear pattern it for the resolution desired.

Add a hole feature and put a hole at each intersection of the edge and pattern.

Make a drawing and add a hole table of that feature.

Save as PDF.

Open PDF, select hole table data, copy, paste into Excel. (but it puts each row into a single cell, it doesn't separate the data)

Save as text.

Open text file and set "space" as a delimiter.  Voila, X,Y data table for the points in question.

At least with this scheme when you update the geometry you just have to save a new PDF and re-do the Excel portion.