17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2010 4:00 PM by Dominic Falcione

Anyone know about .dxf files and laser cutting?

Dominic Falcione

I have an issue with a project of mine. I am modeling in solidworks some curved surfaces, unfolding them, making some simple cutout shapes (circles, ellipses, etc.) and generating flat patterns to be used for laser cutting wooden rotary die boards. The shop replied to my .dxf files (which is the file type they want me to send) that all my ellipses are made up of .003 straight line segments and that all the true circles and straight edges are fine. The machine they use works with smooth arcs. When I open the .dxf file in AutoCad, I see that anything that isn't a true circle or straight line is converted into a spline composed of many very small straight lines. The shop told me that they would have to clean-up all these lines in order for the laser to cut my shape smoothly and apparently avoid any blow-out problems that may happen on the underside of the cut.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How can I get my ellipses, or any other spline designs, to work with this process? How do I get the smooth lines from solidworks to transfer into smooth lines in AutoCad of to a .dxf?