8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2010 7:26 PM by John Sutherland

Assembly sketch - Trim (arc) to closest

John Sutherland

My objective is to make a sweep path for creating the ground part in the assembly.  This part has no life outside the assembly.

The path is like a belt tangent to the construction circles.

The Make Path command cannot read my mind; it seems I have to trim out some arcs from the circles.

Trim to closest has worked for me in this situation in other documents, but in this document the arc removed is not the arc selected by the mouse pointer.

Alt-PrtScr does not capture the mouse pointer in this graphic, but the SW scissors are near the bottom of the 240 dia circle just to the right of the tangent point with the straight line.  The brown color arc being removed is remote from this.  Each arc to be trimmed is as crazy as this one.

This same tool works properly on the polygon.

Any suggestions?

• Re: Assembly sketch - Trim (arc) to closest
          Aaron Tuck

1) Maybe try making a new sketch and use this one as your "base sketch" and then in the new sketch convert entities of the parts you want from the base sketch and trim what you don't want.

2) I sometimes find that there are two lines where I thought there was one. This may be the issue. I sometimes go over a sketch and select lines and delete. If the line does delete and nothing is left I do a ctrl z to undo. If there was a second line underneath (or duplicate line) then it will look like nothing has happened when in actual fact you have deleted the culprit line.

3) If this doesn't work, try inserting another construction line perpendicular to the line you want to trim and make a pierce relation and then trim to that line.