7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2010 7:10 PM by Anna Wood

Bottle Spot Bar

James Moynagh

Has anyone any idea how to achieve this!! On many bottles there is a spot bar for helping to add the label. This is like a cut out in the base or side of the bottle. On the bottle attached  it follows the profile. Does anyone have any idea's on the best way to construct it. Also would it be best to model up using surfaces or with solids?? 

• Re: Bottle Spot Bar
          Deepak Gupta

Check these post and you should get some nice ideas on how to do it

Modeling Challenge: Bottles

T-splines sponsored bottle competition

Charles Culp

Use surface modeling techniques.

1. Create the bottle shape, either with solid or surface techniques.

2. Cut out a hole the size you need for the flat area, and also the transition area. Use the "Trim" tool to cut this hole.

3. Model the flat area, use either boundary surface, or revolved surface. Also trim away the corners to make it round. It should merge tangentially with the top (as shown in your pdf)

4. Use Boundary surface to transition from the bottle edge to the flat (or revolved) label surface. use end conditions of "tangent to face" on each side.

James Moynagh

Charles,

Sorry I don't quite follow what you are saying there. Is there any chance you could model it up so I can see what you mean??

Deepak,

I'm familiar wit both the links you provided, they are good for examples of different bottle features but it doesn't help with what I'm trying to achieve with this feature.

Jerry Steiger

James,

I didn't open up your zip file, but it seems like you could build your bottle as a solid without the spot bar. Cut the spot bar without any of the radii (sharps at the 3 mm depth and 5 and 10 degree angles) to the required height. Add fillets (the two small ones and the 25mm one). Put in fillets on the far end of the cut. Shell the part. You might have to shell first and then add some of the small fillets, depending on how they relate to the wall thickness.

Since this seems like it isn't that hard, I'm guessing that you already tried this and it didn't work. In which case, what caused the problems?

Jerry Steiger