9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2010 11:25 AM by 1-BCG6L3

Section Line in Drawings

Is there a way to control how far outside the "View Box" section lines extend?  They seem excessively long and continue to grow as I change the scale of my drawings.

I am running SW-2010 sp4.0.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

• Re: Section Line in Drawings
          Kelvin Lamport

Click the section line, grab the end and drag to where needed.

Thanks, I know I can do that but it seems to me that there should be a way to automatically set it to a desired distance or percentage past the view.  Also, when I drag that line sometimes it doesn't want to say in its orientation.  For example, I have a section line that is at 7 deg from vertical.  I drag the endpoints to where I want them and notice that the line not only will get shorter but change angle thus changing my section to something that is meaningless.  I am fairly sure that I am creating my sections incorrectly in the model/assembly.

Chris

Jeremy Feist

right click on the section line and chose "edit sketch" this will allow you to "fully define" the line with all of the sketch tools. I have never tried dimensioning the over-hang, but that should keep it consistant as your model grows/shrinks. the dimensions may need to be hidden afterward - like I said, we don't use dims to locate the section line just relations.

Glenn Schroeder

Jeremy is right about editing your section line.  I just wanted to add that when you're doing that be sure to set that 7 deg. angle so that it remains constant.

Jeremy Feist

I didn't want to say that directly, since it may be more meaningful to have parallel or perpendicular to something, but yes, fully define the line.

I did not search for this next question so I am sorry if it has already been answered in another thread.

Ok, let me ask this then.  What is the proper way to make a section view?  Is it in the model or on the drawing itself?  I used to make them in the drawing but recently was directed to make them in the model because that was the correct way of doing it.  I have been struggling ever since.

Jeremy Feist

to my knowledge there is not a "correct" way. if your company has standards that say to do it a particular way, do it that way. or point out how another way may have advantages and get the standard changed.

that said, we don't make the section views for our drawings in the models because it would never put the section line in the view we wanted.

edit - also, how would you make an aligned section in a model?

Aligning a section view that was created in the model is a multi step process that is a pain.  That was one reason that I was confused as to why I was told to make them in the model.  I thank you all for your replies and I will go back to making them in the drawing where it is easier.  I am going to mark this as answered.

More questions to come.  I will search before asking.

Thanks,

Chris

Jason Swackhamer

Chris-

To what purpose? If you just want to look at the part or assembly in section, then it's easier to do in the model view using the section view function. If you need a section view on a drawing, except for rare circumstances, use a section line and create a section view.

-Jason S.