10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2012 3:49 PM by Bill Stadler

Using Solidworks while running a simulation

Andy Krispie

When I'm running a simulation on my office system, the solidworks interface is frozen.  I can't manipulate the current model or open any others until after the simulation has finished.  I thought this was normal and often keep 2 or 3 SW instances open so I can keep working while a simulation is running.  Recently, I noticed that on my home computer I can still use the SW interface while a simulation is running.  While I can't modify the study conditions, I can minimize the current model and open another in the same SW window.

I'm just curious if there is a setting somewhere I'm missing to enable this feature on my office system.

Thanks very much,

Andrew

• Re: Using Solidworks while running a simulation
          Deepak Gupta

Andy what is your  (home and office) systems specs, OS and SolidWorks version and SP. It can be because of your machine may need an upgrade.

Andy Krispie

Thanks for the response Deepak, I've already considered the system reqs.  My office rig is a brand new SW desktop and my home computer is a few years old (C2D 2.5Ghz, 4gb ram, win7 64bit).  Oddly, it's my home computer that allows me to use the interface while a simulation is running.

Both machines are running SW2010 64bit.  My office desktop has all the latest updates and SP's, but I just noticed my home computer only has SP0 (I never bothered to update since I don't use it much).  I wonder if there are issues with the most recent patches...

Can anyone else with the most recent updates work in the SW window with other models while a simulation is running?

Ian Hogg

Hi Andy,

Normally if you have more than one CPU, you can use SolidWorks while a simulation is solving without any problem. The only instance where you cannot is with an optimization run (although if you run the solve all studies option, that too may stop you as well).

I've been running 2010 sp4 & earlier sp's on Win7 64bit with a quad core and dual core machines (both are a few years old now) without any issues of not being able to step away from the study and do things in SW.

The only other aspects I could see are if files are on a network drive or something else is using CPU bandwidth.

Ian

Andy Krispie

Thanks for the response Ian.  Curious indeed...

I definetely multiple cores, so I'm not sure that's the issue.  I know the license is accessed over the network, but I keep all other files local.

Attached is an image of the freeze error I recieve when a simulation is running.  If I wait until it is finished, SW returns to normal functionality.  Also included is a shot of my system specs.

Below is quoted text from the win7 freeze window:

Description:
                        A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
                      Problem signature:
                        Problem Event Name:     AppHangB1
                        Application Name:     SLDWORKS.exe
                        Application Version:     18.4.0.57
                        Application Timestamp:     4c173aff
                        Hang Signature:     f3a8
                        Hang Type:     256
                        OS Version:     6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
                        Locale ID:     1033
                        Additional Hang Signature 1:     f3a8060bb13f0fc483c2af4233b74db1
                        Additional Hang Signature 2:     5eb5
                        Additional Hang Signature 3:     5eb5e547accc4ea88923e3af31db5486
                        Additional Hang Signature 4:     f3a8
                        Additional Hang Signature 5:     f3a8060bb13f0fc483c2af4233b74db1
                        Additional Hang Signature 6:     5eb5
                        Additional Hang Signature 7:     5eb5e547accc4ea88923e3af31db5486
                  Andy Krispie

Also, I cannot open other instances of SW WHILE a simulation is running.  If I already have multiple windows open prior to starting a simulation, I can switch between them just fine, but if I try to click the SW icon during a simulation it just queues up until after it's finished.

While this is an acceptable work around, there are some issues with automatic backups and efficiency.

Andy Krispie

SOLVED!

Running as administrator solves this particular issue.

RClick Shortcut>Properties>Compatibility>Run as Admin

Ian Hogg

Hi Andy,

Glad you sorted it out. Yes I have administrative control on my user accounts, so I would not have seen this. I'll pass that onto development.

Cheers,

Ian

Bill Stadler

Our 60 plus users in my location have admin rights and see this freezing/lockups/Crashes today on 2010 SP4 just using SolidWorks.  It does not seem to be tagged to a specific function.  We went from Dell XP 32-bit to Dell Win7 64-bit, dual monitors and SSD drives.  We are running approved cards and drivers.  This is driving us absolutely insane.

We are currently working with our VAR and SW Customer service but we have been at this for months.  To say te least our users are getting restless.  We would like to go to SW 2012 or even 13 but we need to understand why we are having these Freezing/Lockups/Crashes before throughing another variable into the mis.

Bill Stadler