10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2010 12:31 PM by James Moynagh

Bead on a Bottle Shoulder

James Moynagh

I'm having a wee problem creating the bead on the shoulder of a bottle correctly. I'm able to create it, but at the top end it doesn't follow the profile I want. I have attached the model of the shoulder below in a zip file. Basically there is going to be engraving on a surface which is offset 0.5mm, then there is a bead running around this surface (circle) which is blended into the normal profile surface of the bottle and the offset engraving surface and which will be 0.9mm above bottle surface. Hope everyone can follow so far. I have used a surface sweep and it has created the bead but at the top end I've a sketch of where the beed should run through but it runs a bit below where it should. Is there anything I can do to get this correct?? Is the surface sweep the best option to use??

• Re: Bead on a Bottle Shoulder
          Chris Kamery

James

Here is one way i tried it quickly, it looks a little closer to what you want. Let me know if this works for you.

Chris

James Moynagh

Chris,

Firstly cheers for the reply.

I'm afraid your model is not quite correct, in fact I think I tried something simular first before creating it the way I have. On the inner side of the bead it has to blend into the 0.5mm off set surface (coloured red), do you think this would be possible with the method you tried?

I', thinking of maybe having the path on a surface offset above the shoulder and see if that works when I get time to try it.

Just one other thing, this is something i've noticed with models people send back to me, sketches which are shown can't be seen. Have you ever come across this issue? Or is it just a bug in my machine, even if i hide them and un hide then still won't show.

Kelvin Lamport

I seldom have need for surfacing (I would do this with solids), but I think you would have better success if you added the fillets separately.

Sweep the bead as a surface torus (you will need to add a path for the centreline to follow)

Trim the intersecting surfaces inside the neck (If solids were used, you would not need to do this)

Knit the resultant surfaces (or this)

Add surface fillets

EDIT: Oops, forgot to attach the model

Chris Kamery

James

Firstly, the disappearing sketches: Check to see if under the View Menu if Hide All Types is selected. I will generally check that so that I can view just the model and not see any sketches or anything else.

As for the model:

Do you have a picture or anything of the finished piece? I can offset the surface and create the offset of the bead on the inside. Understanding what you want the bead to be is the major hurdle. Do you want the bead to be similar to a 2D ring that would be sitting on the surface of the bottle or should the shape of the bead bend to match the contour of the bottle?

My personal thought is that the bead should be created first and the fillets should be added second.

Chris

James Moynagh

Afternoon folks, just an update on this post,

Chris,

You were right about the disappearing sketches, "Hide All Types" was checked.

Kelvin,

I'm going to say that your answer is correct I think (see last paragraph on this post), it give me something very close to what I wanted,

I would have used solid modeling as opposed to surfaces as you suggested in your first post but there is the issue of having to offset the engraving surface which I don't think can be achieved by solid modeling (I stand corrected if this is untrue). I got it modeled up ok but when I checked it I noticed you'd used a bigger diameter for the bead and radius so remodeled with the correct size, this initially gave some problems so I had to re-order the position of the 3 surface trims and delete body (customer wants these sizes so have to work to them)

Finally back to Chris's question "Do you want the bead to be similar to a 2D ring that would be sitting on the surface of the bottle or should the shape of the bead bend to match the contour of the bottle? Basically we were giving an image of engraving with a ring round it that needs to be on the shoulder of the bottle, so it needs to follow the profile of the bottle.

James Moynagh

All,

Sorry to bring this back up, firstly was happy with the outcome of the model of the bead. I was just curious, if I were to have a lip on the top (simular profile) that was to fade out to nothing (say 20mm wide from one end to the other) what would be the best approach. Would you try something simular to the bead or would a different approach be required?

Jeff Mowry

Why not sweep a simple circle around a single curve and then add the fillets to the result?  If you need to control the edges of the fillets, consider using a Face Fillet with a hold line that's created with a Split Line.  For the Sweep's Guid Curve, I'd project the curve onto your surfaces.