2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2010 9:37 PM by Matt Lombard

Creating Surface From Cloud of Points

Zohrab Janessian

Hello,

I am interested in creating a surface from a cloud of points in a 3d sketch. Is it possible to do it without constraint/guide curves or boudaries. Just a Best fit.

See attached file.

• Re: Creating Surface From Cloud of Points
          Charles Culp

So very close! This general technique can work for small numbers of points. I have been reviewing this sketch, and I cannot get it to match. Is this file you uploaded the data you wish to model, or is it just a generic example?

A few notes for this technique in general:

- Use Constraint Curves, and select the 3D sketch with the points. Your 3D sketch includes the points on the edge. Create another 3D Sketch (copy 3DSketch1 in this example) that you delete all of the points on the edge.

- I believe the issue with this example is that it is having difficulty with the large distances you are trying to make this fill surface curve. A point cloud with less extreme distances in the Z direction should work.

- It gets more and more difficult to solve with the more points. For a mathematical shape like the one attached, this should not be as much of an issue.

- It really depends on the end result, and what you are using the model for.

- In this particular case, it would be better to sketch an equation driven curve and use the revolve tool, but I assume you know that.

• Re: Creating Surface From Cloud of Points
            Matt Lombard

There are a few things you might try. Looking down the Z axis, the data is laid out in nice rectangles. You could just make a bunch of splines from point to point, even in a 3D sketch to prevent you from needing to make a hundred planes.

You could also use Scan To 3D if you have SW Premium. That would let you lay down curves on the data, although the data is pretty sparse for that.

Scan To 3D might also lay a surface on it, but it would be likely to look like crap.

You might try Rhino, Rhino with Tsplines, or ideally something like Geomagic Raindrop. But that's big bucks.

It's a lot of clicking, but the easy thing to do is open a 3D sketch and just create a few splines. You probably don't need all the points.Instead of going all the way around with 1 big spline, just go across with splines parallel to say the XZ and YZ planes, and use a Boundary surface to create it.

Ok, I just went ahead and did it. It doesn't look very nice. You might have to skip some of the data points or profiles or create some curves in the second direction, or it could be that your data has some round off error or something, especially at the point. Not sure what it is, but it doesn't look great.

Message was edited by: Matt Lombard