For some reason, if I delete a parts design table, and insert another using 'auto create', my new file size is much smaller.
old file size = 47k, new file size = 11k.
Any ideas what going on here?
My guess at what is going on here is that I've fallen into a time warp to 1987 an looking at someone obsessing over 36kb...
There are many possible reasons, and not enough information in your post to determine an answer.
You probably need to post this on a MS forum. The design table is in Excel. It used to be that all NTFS files were at least 50 KB, but maybe improvements to your operating system and NTFS have reduced the minimum fiile size. I hope that this is the case because your operating system has been creating massive bloat in file sizes for years. Hopefully things are turning around in a very positive way. We have all been buying massive hard drive storage for very little $$, but this would create a huge improvement in memory allocation. Potentially not insignificant.
I am not 'obsessing' over the file size, tyvm. With a reliability index pegged at ONE, I'm trying to trouble shoot all these freaking crashes I get from the excel OLE. It is not my system. I am really getting sick of this 10% productivity penalty I get because SW won't fix these OLE problems. Oh - and pointing the finger at MS is lame.
Daniel, You should have mentioned that in the first place. Then everyone would have a better idea of what the real intent of your question was.
I'm sorry I was blunt - just really frustrated with all the crashes. I apologise if I offended anyone. It appears one of the service packs screwed up design tables pretty bad. One of my co-workers said it was 2010 SP3.1 or 4. I went back to SP0, and the odd rebuild behavior (and crashes) appear to be gone.
If anyone is interested in the issue, do this...
Create a simple part.
Add a design table. Add a dimension to the DT.
Create a drawing from the part. Add the DT to the drawing.
Switch back to the part. Add another dimension to the DT, and about 20 new configurations. Get out of the DT.
Select the drawing. For some reason a complete rebuild of all configurations happens.
Go back to the part and edit the design table.
Usually, we crash here - or shortly thereafter - especially if we are working with the DT (formating or adding items, etc).
No worries Daniel.... Happens to all of us. Now that we have a better idea of the issue someone here may be able to help.
What version of Excel are you using? Also what OS are you on?
Not so much for me. We do not use design tables so I will not be of much help. More for those who may be able to help you troubleshoot. Then you can get apple to apple comparisons.
Try looking in your MS office folder under Start>programs>MS Office
when I had design table issues running this dianostic tool worked for me.
I wonder if this has something to do with how configuration data is stored.
I see something very similar with the file size of routed components, some of which will have 100 configurations or more. If I click through each configuration after creating them in the design table the total file size gets increasingly bigger. A 1MB Weldneck flange will reach 10MB if I view all configuration one by one and then save.
If I do a 'Save As Copy' the newly created file (which should be identical to the original) is back to the original small file size. I suspect that when you remove the design table and insert a new one that it is essentially doing the same thing as 'save as copy', somehow resetting all the configuration data to unresolved. I know my essentials teacher had mentioned something about this configuration bloat, but I cant remember the details or how to fix it.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately, I've already tried them already. I've run excel diagnostics several times - nothing seems to be wrong. I'm using excel 2007, win 7-64 with 6 gb ram. It also has a quadro fx1800 with drivers from the SW web site. I'm running SW2010. All add-ons and plug ins have been disabled (in both excel and SW). Virus protection is turned off. I'm not working with files over the network.
Friday I completely scrubbed the machine of SW, and reinstalled 2010 SP0. Another user here said the bug was introduced in SP3.1 or 4.0. So far everything seems to be going okay - I don't get the crazy complete rebuilds when activating drawings anymore.
I'm pretty sure its not this machine, as two other users here have the same issues (we all use design tables extensively). One of them is an XP based machine. The only thing the two systems have in common is the network software, and the virus protection.
I've seen the file size creep when activating all configs, and saving, but this seems to be more than that. If I do a 'save as', then activate all configs and save again, the size increases, but not nearly as much as the original file.
File was created w/ SW2010 SP4
Start size - 47k
'Save As' size - 7k
'Save As' after all 22 configs are activated - 10k
Making a change and saving using SW2010 SP0 - 10k
Retrieving data ...