11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2010 5:57 AM by piriyaprom usanakul

Automatic check in

We are currently evaluating epdm and have a question regarding automatically creating a pdf file and having that pdf file automatically checked into the vault.

Currently I am able to create the pdf file, it is placed into the correct folder and it is added to the vault but it remains checked out by the user login used on the machine to do the conversion. I would like for the pdf file to automatically checked into the vault.

Does anyone know how to automatically check a document into the vault after it is added to a particular folder. I would only want this to happen for particular document types (pdf), in one particular folder (released) for one particular workflow state (released).

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Sam

epdm 2010

• Re: Automatic check in
          Jeff Sweeney

There isn't an out of the box setting for this. Most people do this using EPDM's dispatch.

Jeff,

Thanks for your response.

Do you have an example dispatch add-in that will perform an automated check in that you can share with me? If not can you please refer me to a resource where I can learn more about how to create this automatic check in dispatch?

Thanks,

Sam

Raguraman Thulasiraman

Sam,

If your CAD is SolidWorks then the dispatch command will help you. If you are trying to convert from other CAD like Pro/E, SolidEdge,etc., then you need to go for custom Add-ins which can provide you to convert these files into pdf. The add-ins also differ whether you need for single workflow or for multiple workflow. 

Lee CS Young

The convert task does not leave files checked out.

Lee,

Unfortunately  I am seeing different results. Currently when the pdf file is created it is saved in the appropriate folder and is "added" to the vault but remains checked out by the user login that was used on the machine that performed the conversion.

Can you please confirm if you are seeing the same results or if you are seeing that the pdf file that is created is automatically checked in? If the pdf file is automatically checked in can you please tell me if this was standard functionality or did you create some custom dispatch or trigger event that initiated the check in event.

Thanks,

Sam

Kim Nguyen

Are you able to check in a PDF file in that folder manually? Could it be that you lack permission to add a PDF file to a workflow that's why the PDF files remain checked out?

Kim

Lee CS Young

I'm using the Admin user on a dedicated machine to run the task. Standard functionality; nothing special.

Double check your permissions as it is probably something simple you're overlooking. (Don't forget to check your workflow state permissions too.)

Lee,

Using your scenario (performing conversion using the Admin user) worked. I was able to initiate the conversion with my user login on my laptop and the conversion was performed on a desktop machine using the Admin user. The pdf was create and added to the appropriate folder, was checked into the vault and was also added to the appropriate workflow.

Since this worked I am going to ASSume that the problem is related to user rights, but since we are still just evaluating the software I am not going to be concerned with tracking down the specific problem.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Rich Trnka

This is simply done by creating a new Action in your dispach file. 

Action Name: Check in PDF on Create

Description: PDF files are automatically checked in when added to the vault using this script

Check "During Add" --> conditions are %.pdf, activate after the add operation

In the commands section:

For all documents     Block START

Jump                        If Right(%NameOfSelectedFile%,3)= PDF NO_CASE THEN GOTO Run

Jump                        IF ALWAYS THEN GOTO skp

Label                        Run

Chick in file               %PathToSelectedFile%

Label                        skp

End for all documents Block END

Now, when ever a .pdf file is added to the vault, it will be checked in automatically. If the user has rights to add, they should have rights to check in.

piriyaprom usanakul

I try this dispatch code for sw files. (sldprt, sldasm, slddrw) ......See attach dispatch files.

I found some problem when I add assemblies and parts to pdm vault.

I got error message "Error checking in file, The file isn't checked out by you, which is required by the operation."